marki24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.1%
116   1   0
Ok I have a 40 breeder and my lighting fixture is 2 MH 150 watt each and 39 watt T-5's. When I had the MH running I saw that my candycanes and orange digita fading out, but then my pink birdnest growning really nicely. I had the t-5's running for 7 hours a day and the MH for 4 hours a day. Now I completely took away the MH and i am just running the T5's for 8 hours a day and my zoas are not really growing as they were before. Do you think the lighting fixture is too powerful for my size tank? thanks.

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
yea i did see the tank. Stuff is all over but I know certain things like much higher intensity light. I would adjust things and move stuff around like low light corals and what not move it to the bottom and sps leave up top.

Maybe even try just running one metal halide.

If that doesn't work try doing a metal halide for 2 or 3 hours a day instead

kool-cat

Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Are both of your T5's actinic blues? The 2 150watt alone should be sufficient for a 40 gallon breeder. I have 150watts of MH on my 20 long. I usually leave my lights on for 5-6 hours. Sometimes 7-8. You can try and use like carbon screening or egg crate to block out some light to let your corals adjust. Thats what I usually do when I change bulbs.

Last edited:

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
i have the same fixture as you over my tank right now
T5's---3 atinic and 1 pink ati procolor
MH---- 2 150 watt radium 20 k( they actually look like 14-15ks)

it is not too much light for my corals. in fact my sps corals have been growing faster since i changed from my six bulb tek light fixture....IMO you can have success with that light fixture its all about PLACEMENT, LIGHTING SCHEDULE, ACCLIMATION.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
how old are the bulbs? are you sure it's because of the light that the candycane and orange digi are fading out? maybe it's something else?

i'm running 400w over my 40 breeder and my orange digi is brighter than ever. my softies are happy as well (the few that i have).

my photoperiod is 4.5 hrs now. no supplemental lights..

dan

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: