A

Anonymous

If so, please email me. Fine-tuning and would like to ask a few questions.

thanks

elvis

A

Anonymous

I've got an ETSS Gemini 800. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

-Christopher

A

Anonymous

I found that on my reef devil 3, i get much better performance when i leave the top of the collection cup open at about a 45 deg angle. i also extened the cover plate by siliconing a part of a plastic cup to it.the top lid is tilted 45 deg and the added spacer is about 1" from the valute.this allows the "DRY" foam to catch and push over.
I think that the pressure build up inside the cup was to much.my dry foam was unable to catch the top lid and push over. It works so much better now!

Vinny

A

Anonymous

I use a modified ETS Stingray 600. It is basically a 1000 now, just with a larger riser. The mixer is the same height. Want do you need to know? If you like, email me directly for a faster response.

------------------
#reefs channel operator

A

Anonymous

Just checking the water/bubble interface you guys use. I have mine up about 3-4 inches in the second riser. My ETS 1000 only skims at night (very dark liquid), which I think is normal. If I drop the interface into the first riser, will I get more production? Have to be careful with this big boy and adjust slow or you will have a floor full of skimmate...it takes about 24 hours for an adjustment to kick in so I thought I would ask first.

thanks.

elvis

A

Anonymous

elvisdoc,
I have mine set up so that the air water interface is 2-3 inches up the first riser. I get nice dark dry skimmate at that setting. Once that baby starts skimming watch out, like you said easy to get a carpet full of water.

A couple of tricks I have found in breaking in and adjusting this skimmer. Occasionally pour small amounts of old skimmate into the riser while it is running. This will quickly coat the inside of the tube and allow your skimmer to break in much faster.

I used a 5 gallon bucket for the collection cup overflow line to dump into. I then put this bucket into my sump so that in the event my skimmer went crazy during the break in period , I wouldn't have a major spill on the carpet. You can't be too safe during this period.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your new skimmer.

Nemo

A

Anonymous

elvisdoc,
I allmost forgot to tell you something else about this skimmer. I simulated a power outage to test the skimmer out. When I turned the feed pump back on I noticed that the water went strait to the top of the riser and overflowed into the collection cup before the siphon started on the outlet. This dumps about 3-4 cups of liquid into my skimmate collection bucket. Just need to make sure your collection container can handle the extra water.

Nemo

A

Anonymous

Nemo,
Thanks. So you have it 3-4 inches above the solid black box at bottom? I will email you a pic of mine. Not new, bought it used, have had it up about 5 months. Just fine tuning it. If I drop the interface, the bubble column falls immediately...wonder if this will go back up overnight?

Yea, I have the extra capacity auto-shutoff container....have had an real power outage a few times and seen the overflow you are talking about...the container catches all of it but a little unnerving when you first see it happen....

thanks.

elvis

A

Anonymous

Elvisdoc,

The ETS 1000 may be the best skimmer on the market. I say this after owning and operating ETS 700, 800, Old 800, 1200, 1700 and the new 1000. Ironically the new 1000 is basically the old style 800 which is the first skimmer ETS every sold. There is something about the 5' stack that makes this unit skim like mad. Be sure to get the 5 gallon collection bucket. Personally, I think this unit runs best with the Iwaki 70 RLT but some find the GRI 520 or Iwaki 55 to be adequate.
My only gripe with ETS skimmers is their large size (OK, at least most of them) and the requirement for large energy thirsty pumps.
I recently took down my ETS 1200 and replaced it with the DAS EX-2. So far I do not think the EX-2 skims as much raw skimmate, but it does an excellent job and stands only 28" tall. Its cheaper and burns less than 100 watts to operate.

Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Regards,

John

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: