Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Had one few years back.

Jbj 28 CF-Quad.

Didn't do too much to it, replaced the stock pumps with MJ1200's...which increased the flow rate about 75 or 100 gph.

I removed the hood too...the led moon lights only lasted a month or so. Put a current nova extreme pro 20" over the top. That was about it.

Now i got a Oceanic biocube 29. Did pretty much the same, only now I run with a AI Hydra 26.

Overall their good tanks and will do fine stock as long as you know their limitations. The hoods trap the heat and even though there are built in exhaust fans, they dont seem adequate. Also the small "sump" areas don't really allow for the addition of equipment. Small HOB skimmers maybe and a heater....but space is limited and restrict water movement. Best to keep it simple with minimal equipment if you can.

Just need a few upgrades correct the issues with them.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
The newer model is led..older ones were compact fluorescents that were ok, but with the advancement of leds, it's worth the upgrade.

Thinking back, mine came with a media basket that had ceramic rings and a sponge. I also switched the rings out for chemi-pure elite and added filter floss in addition to the sponge.

OOtzie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Dakota is right mine was old, the best nano reef I ever had to date was my first one in my biocube, I couldnt kill anything ! I bought and sold a lot frags out of it since I didnt know better on care requirements.

I had the overflow filled with a sponge which I cleaned with each water changed, some floss on top of it, next chamber I built a platform out of egg crate and had chemi pure elite and purigen on it and the rest thru the return.

WC 2 times a month - like I said best growth and PE in this one - If I had kept my impatient hands out of the tank & contained my excitement the reef would be still running but of course I rescaped and upgrade 100x over and now I'm reefless ( for now )

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Lol thanks, I learned a lot from my first cube.

Definitely had a lot of growth with that tank. It's demise was my lack of keeping up with a maintenance schedule.

This time around I'm more on top of the maintenance schedule. WC every 10 or so days, floss change as it needs which is every 3 days or so, test weekly. Keeping track of it all with an app on my phone as opposed to excel on the computer.

But the tank is definitely a winner and would absolutely recommend one. It's a good, manageable sized tank and is more forgiving than the smaller nanos.

Admittedly though, you'll be wanting to go bigger after a few months. But that's gonna be the case no matter what tank your running.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: