A

Anonymous

Anyone making good $$$ breeding or propagating marines? (fish and corals)

Steve Ruddy

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make a profit but I wouldn't call it good. Get something rare and locate the market for it and you should do much better than me.

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you're large scale or are into rare stuff, I doubt you'll make much. Most people make enough to offset their tank costs and that's about it.

Shane

reefdork

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
liquid":1x0wvttg said:
Unless you're large scale or are into rare stuff, I doubt you'll make much. Most people make enough to offset their tank costs and that's about it.

Shane
:)

And thats if were lucky!!!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was making enought to keep my tank up, which was all I was hoping for.

wade1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know someone who is making around $8500 a year selling A. ocellaris... and all he has is a handful of tanks in his basement. If you are good at keepign tanks clean and have the time to devote on a daily basis to checking, cleaning, and dealing with it, you can certainly support your hobby!

wade1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, selling locally only. And yes, I helped him get started on the whole outfit.

He has a couple of 10g tanks and his breeding pairs are in his main reef. He's gotten them accustomed to breeding on a tile. Then he just transfers in the tile, hatches, and grows them out. Increasing from ~1/3 to totally full in teh 10g as they age. They are then moved, en masse, into a 40g. He has ~3-4 40g breeders he holds them in until ~3/4" in size at which point they are sellable.

It does take alot of work... I've raised seahorses, bangaii, and maroon clowns to sellable size and you have to check and feed daily (sometimes more than daily).

Steve Ruddy

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO fish are definitly more work and less profit. We sell mostly to one distributor and gross more. If you want to start a business in aquaculture I would suggest you have other products or services in addition to your fish and or corals.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: