AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I just hooked up my Apex wirelessly using the Netgear WNCE2001 adapter. I currently have the adapter plugged into the ethernet port of my Apex inside my stand. Do I have to leave it there or can it be plugged into my router upstairs? This thing has its own power plug and I'd rather not use an outlet near my tank for it.

Thanks.

dba

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If you have a way of running an ethernet cable from your apex controller to the router upstairs you can bypass the adapter entirely. there are other adapters that are usb powered if you have usb plug under the stand or in your outlets

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Thanks for the feedback guys. I had a 50 foot cable running from my office upstairs to my tank on the first floor lol. I bought this netgear adapter to get rid of the cable and make the GF happier but now it takes up an outlet which i'm not happy about but at least its wireless now.

Next project is to figure out the port forwarding so that i can access it remotely.

dba

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks man. I have Linksys Wireless-G 2.4 GHZ 54MBPS Model # WRT54G

you can do 2 things either will work..

do port forwarding, or through the IP address of the apex controller into the DMZ. This is for accessing apex from outside your network. Internally you can still access apex without any extra config

go to your routers ip address from a web browser (it's usually 192.168.1.1)

if not check your gateway address on ip settings. and put it in your browser..

the default username and password came with your instruction manual, but if not look it up online, sometimes its admin/admin

let me know when you got that far and we can move forward

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
you can do 2 things either will work..

do port forwarding, or through the IP address of the apex controller into the DMZ. This is for accessing apex from outside your network. Internally you can still access apex without any extra config

go to your routers ip address from a web browser (it's usually 192.168.1.1)

if not check your gateway address on ip settings. and put it in your browser..

the default username and password came with your instruction manual, but if not look it up online, sometimes its admin/admin

let me know when you got that far and we can move forward

I'm there!

dba

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
awesome, sorry for the late reply.. go to the application and gaming tab... and go to the port range forward sub group

under the application field, give it a name for the rule (Apex seems like it would suffice)

give it the port range you need to forward, if only one port then repeat the port on start and end... (eg, 5501 - 5501)

finally, give the ip address of your apex controller, and you are done after you save the settings...

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
awesome, sorry for the late reply.. go to the application and gaming tab... and go to the port range forward sub group

under the application field, give it a name for the rule (Apex seems like it would suffice)

give it the port range you need to forward, if only one port then repeat the port on start and end... (eg, 5501 - 5501)

finally, give the ip address of your apex controller, and you are done after you save the settings...

No problem, appreciate the help. Ok so I opened port 80 since it seems to be the default for the Apex now how would I log in remotely? Do I type the IP address into the URL? And would I type the port after it? Something like this: 000.000.0.000:80 ??

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
well, web browsers use port 80 as default, so you wouldnt have to do ip:80 at the end.. ANY other port, you would have to do that..

you have to figure out what is your public ip address (www.whatismyip.com)

and try to connect to it from outside your network (i would check with my phone)

get that ip address and type it into your phones browser with http://

eg;

http://86.75.99.199

I just did that but I got a response error: 502 Bad Gateway- a bad response was received from another proxy server or the destination origin server. I tried to connect using my Iphone's 3G connection.

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
sometimes, ISPs wont let you use port 80 because it is a hosting port.

is there a way to make apex work on a different port? if so, i would set everything to 8080

and connect using http://yourip:8080

I think I just figured it out. I went back into my router settings and the IP address I had listed for port 80 was different. I guess I entered it incorrectly. I corrected it and I was just able to long in from the Iphone's 3G.

Should be good to go now, right?

dba

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
yeah, sounds like you're good to go.

keep in mind that your public IP address is on DHCP and will change every couple of days because of your ISP.

you can call them and try to talk them into giving you a static ip address so that you don't run into issues later on, other wise you will have to figure out a way of managing your changing ip...

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Funny you should mention that because I just created a static internal IP (at least i think i did). Should I have that address listed in the router for port 80 instead of the apex IP? Should I connect remotely using the static IP instead of the public IP?

dba

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Remotely you always connect using your public ip.. if you create static IP address internally, that's fine and thats what you would want to use for your port forwarding

but you will have no control over your public ip address changing. you should call your ISP and see if they will give you a static public IP

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: