swreefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of a sudden some of the LFS by me are carrying nothing but "Bali" fish. They claim these are the hardiest and best fish you can get. Are fish from Bali handled as well as those from the Red Sea and Australia? What is going on? They are praising fish from this area while they raise the price. Is it time to start looking for a new LFS?

JeremyR

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bali Fish are the cheapest and worst fish there are. Yes, it is time to find a new LFS
icon_wink.gif

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats expensive catfood they are selling...well with all the cyanide in em It might kill the cat.

swreefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me get this straight. Fish from Bali are cheaper and poorly collected.
2 of the LFS by me are saying how great they are and the prices have gone up considerably for the so called "best" fish.
Here is an example. A flame angel used to be $50. Now since it is a flame angel from the magnificent Bali, it is $90.
WTH. I am getting tired of the stunts the LFS pull.
Thanks. Time to stop going to these places.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe they are sooo expensive because the person in bali is having them shipped to him all the way from hawaii or somewhere
icon_smile.gif
heh then it would really be worth $90. You are getting screwed royally at $90 for your flame angel.

swreefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't buy the flame. That was just the price they were charging. I walked out without getting anything. I thought flames were found in other places besides Hawaii so I didn't think anything of it when I was told the flame they had was from Bali.

After hearing the pitch from them about how great Bali fish were and seeing the bump up in prices, I got a little suspicious. I don't trust much of what the LFS says.

Oh, by the way. The other place that is praising Bali also claims that none of his fish will ever be sick. He inspects each one (not that he has to since they are from "Bali") and removes any internal parasites they might have and "conditions" them for sale. How the hell do you do that?

I am so sick of the BS that these places tell people. Basically they are screwing people buy jacking up prices on livestock that has a dismal chance of surviving. Great. They now care more about money than the fish or customers.

This board has saved me a lot of aggrevation. I never buy anything without first inquiring about it here.

Thanks a bunch. Time to look at other places for livestock.

Bill2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea if flame angels come from Bali but they have a pretty large range. I think some come from Xmas island. I know there are a couple xmas islands but I believe there is an xmas island west of Indo.

I'll check my butterfly and angelfish book when i get home unless someone gets to their's sooner.

MaryHM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't import from Bali because of the pathetic collection and handling techniques, so forgive me if this is a dumb question. Do Flame Angels even come from Bali?? If so, it's news to me
icon_smile.gif

Chucker

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per coralrealm.com- Distribution:
Belau to the Hawaiian, Marqueses and Ducie Islands, south to the Great Barrier Reef and the Pitcairn group, being most common around oceanic islands.

I don't have a Pacific map in front of me right now, but there's a range for you to work from.

howman1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was in bali in october and bought some fish from a distributor. i don't know how the fish were collected but they were stored well.

i brought some home. many did not survive the plane ride---.

are they the best? how would i know but they were good. i asked them for a flame angels, and they had none!!!

howard

Anemone

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by howman1:
<strong>are they the best? how would i know but they were good. </strong><hr></blockquote>

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by howman1:
<strong>i brought some home. many did not survive the plane ride---. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Um, Howard? How can they be that good if "many" of them didn't even live throught the plane ride?

Kevin

Diver1

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, Flame Angels aren't found in Indonesia, but they are found in Vanuatu, Cook Islands, possibly Fiji and some other South Pacific locations.

Hope this helps,
Kent

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: