ecam

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys how high off the water can I mount this fixture, while still being able to grow anything on the sand (mainly just acclimating - sps)? The tank is a standard 180 (72x24x24)

I would like to hang it Between 16-18 inches off the water

I believe that par needs to be around 300 for SPS (is this correct)​

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I don't see the need to hang it so high. I would hang it 10"-12" above water surface. The par will vary throughout the height of your reef. Place different types of SPS at different levels to suit their lighting needs.

"I believe that par needs to be around 300 for SPS (is this correct)" No this is not correct. There is no written rule to this. There are too many variables to determine exactly how much par SPS (broad term) need. Nutrient level, zooxanthellae population, and species play a big factor.

Last edited:

ecam

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going with a floating canopy look. That is why I was asking. So the fixture would be mounted 12 inches off the tank and the lights would 14 inches (lights sit 2inches into the canopy)

I don't see the need to hang it so high. I would hang it 10"-12" above water surface. The par will vary throughout the height of your reef. Place different types of SPS at different levels to suit their lighting needs.

"I believe that par needs to be around 300 for SPS (is this correct)" No this is not correct. There is no written rule to this. There are too many variables to determine exactly how much par SPS (broad term) need. Nutrient level, zooxanthellae population, and species play a big factor.

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Which side of the ATI fixture is the exhaust side? I'm building my canopy today or tomorrow for a 48' 8 bulb power module.

Iv always seen ATI fixtures really close to the water. my tank is 30 inches deep so how high would I want to mount the light? I was thinking to make the canopy 15 inches tall and have the lights a few inches off the tank

Jaftica

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Which side of the ATI fixture is the exhaust side? I'm building my canopy today or tomorrow for a 48' 8 bulb power module.

Iv always seen ATI fixtures really close to the water. my tank is 30 inches deep so how high would I want to mount the light? I was thinking to make the canopy 15 inches tall and have the lights a few inches off the tank

I had my fixture about 9" off the water, my sunpower was the 48x8 dimmable fixture and it exhausted on the left side, I had exhaust fans, intake fans, regular fans you name it, the fixture would start shutting down the lights in an attempt to cool itself down, it took me a while to know this was happening because I am at work during those times, so I had my wife watch it and everyday it was happening, removed the canopy and problems were solved!

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
You seriously saved me good time and money. Thanks.

I'm thinking of leaving the top open and not enclosing it at all. An indoor garden inline fan should push tons of air through it but it would be pretty loud.

For a deep tank like mine I would still want it mounted 5-10 inches high?

Not trying to jack the thread but this should help the OP as well

Jaftica

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
You seriously saved me good time and money. Thanks.

I'm thinking of leaving the top open and not enclosing it at all. An indoor garden inline fan should push tons of air through it but it would be pretty loud.

For a deep tank like mine I would still want it mounted 5-10 inches high?

Not trying to jack the thread but this should help the OP as well

The height is something your going to have to play with and adjust based on your tanks needs, I would start it at 12" and adjust from there

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: