jacuglietto

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I got back at about 12 last night from a business trip to Boston, and checked on my tank and everything seemed fine. When I woke up this morning, I noticed that my digital thermometer's LCD screen was sitting in the water. apparently, my girlfriend who was taking care of the tank for me while i was gone noticed that the thermometer's screen had lost its suction and fell to the ground, so she put the whole thing back in the water... probe AND SCREEN. when i pulled the thing out, the screen was naturally flooded and the thermometer did not work, plus there was some reddish brown crust on the screen. I am at work, and I'm having her test the water for copper levels right now, but if anyone has any advice on what to do it would be a big help.

jacuglietto

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
im relaying this info through my girlfriend, who knows very little about how to take care of an aquarium beyond following feeding instructions.

She ran a copper test for me and reports no traces. ammonia is also at zero.

She said that the fish seemed to look "darker" than normal, and were swimming slightly sideways. this alarmed me at first, but im thinking about it and my lights dont go on until 11, so they may just still be darker from the night's sleep and my tomato clown hasnt swam upright, unless he is feeding, since i brought him home.

my tank is 90 gallons.

also, the green hair algae problem that I was having before I left on monday for my trip seemed to have worsened somewhat.

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I don't think you have much to worry about in a 90 gallon tank with such a small battery. I'm sure not much leaked out. Do a water change and run some carbon if you can as Chief suggested. If everything looks terrible you'll have to take more drastic action.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I wouldn't worry much at all, just keep an eye on the tank the fish coloration is because they are still waking up and no lights are on. Do a Water Change tonight or tomorrow if you think it's needed. The hair algae problem is something entirely else, you should post your water parameters maybe that will help us help you get rid of it. Do you use RO/DI? Pleasantville has some murky water.

jacuglietto

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
ok, i have fresh salt water that is ready to go in, so ill have her do it. nothing seemed catastrophic this morning, but for her to call me at work to say that a fish didnt look good was a big move.

what would be a more drastic action?

and as an aside, last week she accidentally dropped my hydrometer, and I still havent gotten my refractometer in the mail, so i really have no idea where my specific gravity is right now- this is why i should leave my job and take care of this money pit (fish tank) full time.

jacuglietto

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
yes, I use RO/DI water, and my tank has only been up and running for a few months, so I'm not flipping out about the hair algae. This weekend I will start to manually remove some, and cut back on the lighting to begin the treatment of the hair algae.

Freespool

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
same thing happened to my 90gal. i saw dark liquid comming out of the thermo screen into my tank. this was like 6 months ago and everything is fine. didnt even do a water change right away. its just to small to effect 90 gal.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: