tenshi

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my Ricordia, that I received from GARF, since mid October. Since then its tripled in size. It now measures about 3.5 inches. I started feeding it every other day with three or four frozen brine shrimp since the begining of January. Yes its gotten pretty plump. I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do to make it split. Currently it has light to moderate flow. Its kept at the bottom of the top 1/3 of my 75 gallon RR Oceanic tank with 260watt PC. My water parameters are acceptable and I do monthly water changes. Any ideas? :roll:

Attachments

• ricordia.jpg
    ricordia.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,911

Palmetto

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A razor blade right through the center should do the trick...

:)

rfprop_0415.jpg

rfprop_0417.jpg

rfprop_0418.jpg

Just use a clean, unused blade and slice it cleanly. It works best if you do not damage the foothold on rock, so I like to slice through with the razor blade and then divide the rock with kitchen scissors.

I have sliced hundreds of 'em.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What flow/lighting should they be placed in after cuttin them?

Palmetto

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put them in medium flow, (there needs to SOME flow to wash away the slime, but Ricordea hate too much circulation so don't overdo it!)

Lighting won't matter too much as long as it is not TOO intense- they will quickly recover from the slice. My personal favorite Ricordea lighting is 250-watt Radium bulbs. This gives them some intensity without overdoing it.

I have kept them under anything from NO, VHO, PC, and up to 400 watt and 1,000 watt halides- on much larger tanks of course. They will not fully expand if the lighting or the circulation is too intense for them.

They actually open further under LESS light sometimes- probably stretching out to maximize photosynthesis.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow Palmetto, I just checked out your website!!! Freakin amazing!
Now I desperately want one of those ricordea rocks! The rainbow rocks look soooooooooo awesome!!!! And theyre WAAAYYY cheaper than anything I can get around here! Stupid N. Cali... Stupid winos!!!

Anywho, how long does it take for the ric to recover completely after being chopped?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: