A

Anonymous

So about GARF......just kidding!!!!!

I have been using sea chem's test kits for awile but I am thinking of changing. Can anyone tell me the best kit to get as far as being able to see small changes because all those colors look the same to me!!!

A

Anonymous

I love the LaMotte kits. I have salinity, alk, and calcium. They are priced pretty reasonably. I want phosphate and nitrate but their pretty expensive. I probably wait until I use up the cheaper kits I'm using now.

I think the LaMottes will last a lifetime. Good construction and replacement regents are reasonable (very few plastic parts mostly glass)

A

Anonymous

I can tell you a test kit that I don't like... Red Sea's test kits. The colors are so close to match, it's almost impossible to get a correct reading. Since Red Sea I've been using Salifert, and I like them a lot. Salifert has a few extra steps but I feel they are more accurate.

Wayne...

A

Anonymous

Hey,

What about Acquamarines Dip &
Read test strips?

------------------
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>If I had a dime
for every dollar I`ve
spent on this hobby, I`ed
be a rich man!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A

Anonymous

SD,

I use the Seachem tests when I do bother to test the parameters. I think they are not too bad, the continuous scale may be a bit confusing to start with, but with a bit of practice I think gives a much more subjective reading. If you are too worried about being able to detect colour changes, then get a colourimeter or build one yourself. There is a link to details on how to build on on my site. If you try this, then I can help you out on how to calibrate it. The commerical units are expensive, but take all the guess work out.

Don't get too hung up on the values either. Hobbyist test kits are so inaccurate that your trust is misplaced if you think the values you get are correct. They are much more useful to use as a relative measure for your particular tank/system.

As to the better kits, people tend to talk about the LaMotte and Hach as being the better brand to get.

A

Anonymous

For pH you can get a probe/meter. Other than that they are all based on colour changes, except salinity. As I mentioned in my post, best way to go then is a colourimeter, which measures the colours for you, and gives a digital read out. I belive Hach makes one specifically for the hobby.

A

Anonymous

Are there test kits that do not show results by colors??? Besides anything digital that costs a fortune. My brother is VERY color blind and this would be of great help to him also. THANKS to all that have replied

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: