Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi, my tank had a crash a little while back and I'm slowly getting it back to life but my salinity it rather low at 1.021. I never add salt directly to the tank but I'm wondering if I can add it directly into the sump... it would be so much easier than taking water out, adding salt to it and putting it back or.

Also... how fast can I raise it, my goal is to get it up to 1.025 for my corals.

Right now I'm measuring with the cheap plastic salinity measurer but my PinPoint Monitor should be here Friday.

richardhmc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Hi welcome to manhattan reefs!

First off, good thing you are getting a monitor instead of a plastic hydrometer. Those things are VERY unreliable.

I would be careful since you might not be sure exactly as to what your salinity is.

Instead of adding salt directly to your tank, take out water, make new salt water that has the salinity of say 1.025. There is no need to jump the salinity in my opinion. As long as your corals seem fine, a slow and steady increase is good.

I've had my salinity overshoot up to 1.030 and over due to salt mixing mistakes and my corals were fine.

Assuming that you have a 54 gallon tank, judging by your signature, it doesn't take much to shoot up the salinity.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
first, great screen name. second, I agree with the above.. just take it slow. You'll do more harm than good trying to raise it quickly. Each time you perform a water change, do it with higher salinity water than before (depending on how large the water change is..)

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
If your livestock appears healthy I wouldn't do anything. As water evaporates your tank will become more saline. Just top off with salt water and you will gradually achieve the correct level.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

BZOFIQ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
If your livestock appears healthy I wouldn't do anything. As water evaporates your tank will become more saline. Just top off with salt water and you will gradually achieve the correct level.

That may work great and allows for very gradual raise in salinity. Great suggestion.

BZOFIQ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0

That may work great and allows for very gradual raise in salinity. Great suggestion.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
You should open one of those for air transfer at the surface. Tight fitting lids prevent gas exchange and can lead to lower O2 levels.
May be fine if everything is healthy but could help lead to a crash.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: