tah532

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are bettas notorious for not eating when in a new tank? I have a male in a 2.5 gallon with good amount of plants, and he will not touch the betta pellets when I put them in. Granted he has only been in for 2 days now, but are there any tricks or tips. thanks in advance

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not uncommon for a lot of fish to not eat when put into a new environment. In fact, I prefer to try not to feed at all in those first couple of days unless I know they haven't been fed in the shop. A hungry fish is a healthy fish (so is a hungry cat, but that's another story) as I was taught by the old-timers, so waiting until they're settled allows them time to decide whether or not they have an appetite.

However, I'm going to guess that you've tried to feed and it's not. If it appears otherwise healthy, check your water parameters, pay closest attention to ammonia and nitrite levels. If those are readable at all, then a small water change may be necessary.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, if you're REALLY concerned, try a small amount of live blood worms to entice him to eat.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
healthy bettas should eat withing minutes of introduction to any healthy tank ;)

below 78-80°, their appetite will decrease-lots of teh prepared foods are simply not tasty to bettas

i had very good results w/the betta food from hbh years ago-most other brands were spat out after tasting :P

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't add food for a couple of days. Then see if the betta starts eating. FWIW I only feed 3 pellets per day.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gee, Bob, you sound like the old-timer I used to work for. He also used to say, "Get yer hands outta tha damned tank!" :lol: Oh, yeah, workin' for Dougie... those were some fun times.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seamaiden":gi2vt103 said:
Gee, Bob, you sound like the old-timer I used to work for. He also used to say, "Get yer hands outta tha damned tank!" :lol: Oh, yeah, workin' for Dougie... those were some fun times.

that's because I am on old-timer. :lol:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: