johnvic

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'm such a beginner that I'm reading The Conscious Aquarist and am just trying to figure out where to start. My plan, so far, is to start with a FOWLR tank. I am space challeneged, as I'm sure many on here are. I live in a Queens 1 bedroom apartment. I think I can fit a 36" wide tank. I was looking at a bow front 46 gal. tank. I had also thought of a little smaller and getting a 24 gal. nano, but I understand that they can be tough for a beginner. The guy from the LFS reccomended the 24 gal. nano because it is an easier start in terms of equipment. But I have to say that store has a bad rep for customer service and thanks to this forum I saw great reviews for 2 stores in Queens which I plan to visit next weekend.

Anyway, I just wanted to post an introduction and I'm sure I will have questions! Meanwhile I am loving some of the tank setups pictured here.

hijinks

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
generally.. the more water you have the better the tank can handle like a death in a tank or such.. but the bigger you go the more expensive it gets.

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Get the biggest you can afford :)
In 36" you have a lot of choices. 40G breeder is a nice size.
I'm personally not a bow front fan. The distortion ruins the view for me.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Welcome to MR! Best wishes in what ever you settle on!;) I have a 155 Bow Front, the only time I find the bow to be a problem is during picture taking.

johnvic

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'm thinking of getting a 34 gal. solana. Aquatic Express has listed a very good deal on one. It seems like a great starter tank and is larger than the 24 gal. nano. Also it will work well in my living room.

michaelp

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I second what keith said. Get the biggest you can afford. It's not much more work for a bigger tank than it is for a little one (in fact, it's probably reverse)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: