fjpod

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 10 small corals. Mostly lps, shrooms, zoas. They seem to be thriving. Also A damsel, firefish, and two twin spot sand sifting gobys. Stock Biocube, no skimmer.

I do 15 percent water changes weekly with RC. My water parameters are generally good, but I seem to lose alk quickly, and I struggle to keep my ph at 7.9.

What is my best approach? Add baked baking soda in my top off water? Supplement Ca and Alk equally with a two part? Kalkawasser?

Last edited:

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is often misunderstood.

First it always appears the Alk drops faster than the Alk for 2 reasons

1. Calcium is a big reading, 400, 435, 450 ppm and Alk is a small number, 5, 7 10 dKH. Calcium kits have much bigger increments. So, if you lose 10-20 ppm you may not see it but a drop in dKH of 1, 2, is very noticeable.

2. If 20 ppm of calcium leave solution you will lose 2.8 dKH, allot. Lets say you are losing 20 ppm calcium and 3.2 dKH. Well, that Alk is not just to make Aragonite with but is also used to buffer out acids. That is why it seems you are losing to much Alk. You will always lose more Alk than that 2.8 dKH, that binds with that 20 ppm calcium that is used to make Aragonite. The more "polluted " a tank is the more it will lower the dKH.

fjpod

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is often misunderstood.

First it always appears the Alk drops faster than the Alk for 2 reasons

1. Calcium is a big reading, 400, 435, 450 ppm and Alk is a small number, 5, 7 10 dKH. Calcium kits have much bigger increments. So, if you lose 10-20 ppm you may not see it but a drop in dKH of 1, 2, is very noticeable.

2. If 20 ppm of calcium leave solution you will lose 2.8 dKH, allot. Lets say you are losing 20 ppm calcium and 3.2 dKH. Well, that Alk is not just to make Aragonite with but is also used to buffer out acids. That is why it seems you are losing to much Alk. You will always lose more Alk than that 2.8 dKH, that binds with that 20 ppm calcium that is used to make Aragonite. The more "polluted " a tank is the more it will lower the dKH.
So what you are saying is my alk drop is likely due to a calcium drop. So, dose more Ca as well as alk...or just keep doing more water changes with Reef Crystals.

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fj, I posted answers to your questions days ago, apparently it did not post.

So what you are saying is my alk drop is likely due to a calcium drop. So, dose more Ca as well as alk...or just keep doing more water changes with Reef Crystals.

Yes, when the Calcium drops 20 ppm the Alk will drop 2.8 dKH. However, the Alk will drop more than that 2.8 dKH, as other reactions use also Alk.

I just checked my Ca. It's at 480. Guess I'll keep dosing more Alk. I'm using baked baking soda for Alk and to raise pH. I use Seachem Ca with magnesium and strontium added.

You never add a buffer to raise the pH, Alk only. 99% of all low pH issues are from to much CO2 and 75 % of the time that is due to high room air CO2.

Let me ask the question this way...If I am doing a 15% weekly water change with RC, and If I dose Kalk and baking soda in my topoff, will my magnesium eventually drop?

It depends, how high was the Mg ? You did not give any Mg levels, just Calcium.

Been on the road the last 2 weeks.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: