jggav66

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My Blue face angel has two section on his body where the scale are raised. There is also a cotton look to where the scale is raised. Would any on have experience with this. I have never seen anything like this before. Any information would help.

Thank you

Attachments

• blueface.jpg
    blueface.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 228

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
It's probably a wound from hitting itself against a rock or maybe a fish hit it, nothing to much to worry about. As for the cotton it maybe lymphocystic or cauliflower diseases, which usually comes about from a cut of wound. If you have good water condition and feed the fish well it could clear up by itself without any problems. It could also be a fungus growing where the wound is, so if it doesn't look better in a few days you're going to need to remove the fish and treat it.

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/pests/99507-lymphocystis-cauliflower-disease.html

jggav66

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Fungus

If a fungus what medication is best. I am a bit confused when it come to the different meds on the market. The tank just went through a cuppermine treatment as I had ick. I know there is positive and negative meds. So which one will be better suited for a fungus.

Thank you

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Before you do anything just give it a few days and see if it starts to get better. If it's still not better than you can look at a number of different medications to use. Also, check the link I posted and see if the pictures looks similar to what your fish has. If it does have cauliflower diseases then basically it should clear up over time.

jggav66

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Lympocytis

It may be this however the fins are clear and clean. Possible from rock or bullying. I was thinking fluke or parasite. I lost a goldflake to I think what was internal parasite two weeks ago. Possible this is related to that?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Is this a reef tank or a FOWLR?
You used cupramine IN this same tank? How long did you treat the ich?

True fungal infections are not common in a SW tank due to all of the salt.

If the goldflake you lost didn't exhibit the same symptoms you are seeing on this fish, better to not try and tie the 2 events together, they may well be totally unrelated.

If the fish is acting/eating normally it is better to wait a bit then to treat for the wrong thing and stress the fish. I agree with Marrone that it will likely clear up on its own.

Last edited:

jggav66

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Fish only

I treated for 19 days then I noticed my gold flake was not eating . I assumed it was too long of treatment . So I added carbon to remove the cuppermine. I also noticed the goldflake had long stringy stool. It also started loosing its equilibrium swimming odd. I looked what it could be and came up with bladder deiseas. I qt the fish and treated with API general cure, this did not do much and the fish eventually passed. The main tank I did water change and left alone. These raised scales came about four days ago. Has not gotten worse or better. I will wait this out and see what happens. Curious to see if any others pick this up. Fish are swimming and eating fine. All parameters seem normal

Rating - 100%
97   0   0
It could help to soak all foods in selcon and vitamin C to aid with the healing especially with cauliflower disease or anything that the fish may be trying to fight off. Whatever helps get them better is worth it especially if it is a homeopathic method that helps avoid medicating your tank.

It's one thing to medicate the entire tank for something like Ich but it's another thing to have to use something as powerful as an antibiotic with all of your other fish in the tank and wipe them all clean of their immunities because of one fish. A seperate QT would be best in the 2nd scenario especially.

Best of luck and feel free to give me a call if anything.

jggav66

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Still Monitoring

The fish still seem to be eating and swimming fine. I have not done anything as for the treating. I have enriched there food with garlic. My Regal looks like the spots may be turning red. This is I noticed tonight and looks like it is the beginning stage of baterial. If it is turning red then my guess is this is a bacterial rather than viral. Not too sure as it looks a bit pink. The blueface has had this much longer but given the dark blue color it is difficult to see if there is any red in the wound. The regal being yellow is much more evident of the true color of this raised scale cotton like growth. So question if in fact this is bacterial, what is the best medication to treat?

I appreciate all taking there time to help out with this problem I am experiencing at this time.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: