thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
i personally hate them but they are not awful for your system. they can provide good diversity fro your tank and eat detrius. If it is large, then it could be an issue, but if its managable size or smaller no cause for alarm.
if you decide you dont want it in your tank get a trap or make one from a soda bottle or natural predators include some wrasses or possibly an arrow crab

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Do not touch them either they can give you a big sting to your fingers keep that in mind. Also if the bristleworms get out of control in your tank meaning if you see a lot of them every where. Get a 6 line wrasses and problem solve buddy.

ChrisB

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
i personally hate them but they are not awful for your system. they can provide good diversity fro your tank and eat detrius. If it is large, then it could be an issue, but if its managable size or smaller no cause for alarm.
if you decide you dont want it in your tank get a trap or make one from a soda bottle or natural predators include some wrasses or possibly an arrow crab
Thank you , I also noticed some realy small white worms .

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Do not touch them either they can give you a big sting to your fingers keep that in mind. Also if the bristleworms get out of control in your tank meaning if you see a lot of them every where. Get a 6 line wrasses and problem solve buddy.

good point Ang,
i would not think of touching one so i forgot to add that in the post.
white worms tough to id without a picture

felix tesler

Experienced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
first i would like to welcome xan3x to Manhatten reefs i see you are new to the site come to the staten island thread and post a pic of your tank but i would also like to let you know that bristel worms do not sting they are benificial to your tank it is the fire worm that will sting and it kinda feels like fiber glass check out the link so you can tell the difference http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_KbY2-hV_4

ChrisB

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
first i would like to welcome xan3x to Manhatten reefs i see you are new to the site come to the staten island thread and post a pic of your tank but i would also like to let you know that bristel worms do not sting they are benificial to your tank it is the fire worm that will sting and it kinda feels like fiber glass check out the link so you can tell the difference http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_KbY2-hV_4
Cool ty for the welcome. I will post when i get some life in there , tomorrow I will be adding my clean up crew and in 2 or 3 weeks ill add my first coral and fish. Thanks for the info.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0

Welcome to MR :)

ALL bristle worms will be happy to leave their bristles stuck in your fingers, so do NOT touch the worm you have in your tank (which is a bristle worm, not a fireworm).

Get a 6 line wrasses and problem solve buddy.
It is far easier to cut back on the amount of food you are feeding (if you have overfed and have a too large population of bristleworms) than to try and get a 6-line wrasse back out of your tank.
Six line wrasses are one of the nastiness fishes in temperment and many a reefer has regretted ever adding one to their tank.

In addition to the SI forum - many folks here also post in the 'Tank Thread' forum to show off their tank where everyone on the site can enjoy it :)

Last edited:

jhart

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I been seeing more bristle worms than I like too, So I tried out the bristle worm trap, and it works in fact it works great .. It is a bit of manual labor but I dont see that many any more, worth the few dollars I spent..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: