DEL

reef guy in jc
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
hey guys..over the past few days..i notice a brown film on the surface of my water. it looks like crushed detiorating algae. its a brownish color, and sticks to my arm, cup, or anything i put in the tank. its only on the surface of the water though. when i take a sample of the water, and i use an extended tube, theres nothing in it. does anyone know what this is? if you look up at the water surface from the bottom of the tank, you can clearly see it. its like an oil spill, but not oil. haha. can this be from when i scraped off the algae from teh wall of my tank ? any advice on anyone who had this problem before would help. corals and fish are doing great, so i dont know if this is harmless. but id rather be safe than sorry.

stbarnabas

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
i have sxactly what you got something died in your tank in my case i got spanish dancing slug big one died and i never take it out few days later that brown thing on top came up .. what i did i took a pump and sipon only the top it'll only take few minutes to take it out ..

DEL

reef guy in jc
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
hmmmm...thanks for all the info guys..ill check tonight if anything died. it can be that fact that my harlequin goes thru 2 CC starfish every month.. and thats in my external fuge..i doubt, but ill check anyway. good to hear i can just siphon out the top. as far as flow goes, i have k2, k3, k3, k4 all running. so no problem when it comes to flow. and im not sure if its ferric oxide. is this what happens with a cal rx? reactorwise.. i have a pro cal w/ arm media, 2 phsoban reactors running carbon in one and phosban in another..but ive always had those. let me siphone the top and see if it comes back..thanks guys

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: