• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rayzor

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Found this excellent run down of tank inhabitants http://www.waldonell.com/me/145g_other.
And while i thought bryopsis looked completely different; the information and photo on this site showed shots of bryopsis that looks a lot like two small sprigs that are growing from a patch of red seaweed i have on a piece of tonga branch in my tank......oh no!!
It is only eminating from the very top of this branch.......do i have to take out the whole tonga, or can i break of the top of the branch and sacrifice the red seaweed:sad2: further, the lower part of the branch seems to have a small very beautiful patch of lavender/purple clove polyps....so i am very reluctant to remove the whole rock......
are there any other effective methods to destroy these two little plants w/o throwing the baby out with the bath water...so to speak???
help..............

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Wish I could help, but thankfully I have never had to deal with this type of algae. I would imagine that just breaking the rock where the algae is should do the trick.

Perhaps my bumping it will bring you the answer you need.;)

sharkbait69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Found this excellent run down of tank inhabitants http://www.waldonell.com/me/145g_other.
And while i thought bryopsis looked completely different; the information and photo on this site showed shots of bryopsis that looks a lot like two small sprigs that are growing from a patch of red seaweed i have on a piece of tonga branch in my tank......oh no!!
It is only eminating from the very top of this branch.......do i have to take out the whole tonga, or can i break of the top of the branch and sacrifice the red seaweed:sad2: further, the lower part of the branch seems to have a small very beautiful patch of lavender/purple clove polyps....so i am very reluctant to remove the whole rock......
are there any other effective methods to destroy these two little plants w/o throwing the baby out with the bath water...so to speak???
help..............
if you are sure its bryopsis, read about using tech m to kill bryopsis, google it. I have done it my self when i got a peice of LR from a break down and it had bryposis on it. Killed the weed in a week and did not harm my ornimental algae.

Rayzor

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It was...as far as i could tell...according to the documentation on the web page....long, greenish shoot, resembling a long bird feather....it was a very small patch....maybe 4,5,6 thin shoot....some of which had long feather like (leaves?)
Ive read some dramatic posts on the forums....and ppl that remove entire pieces of rockwork to get rid of it.....didnt want to take a chance...so i just broke off the piece below the point where it was growing....
the red seaweed stuff has shot off small leaves that seem to be propogating in various places around the tank...so im hoping that (w/o predation)it'll grow well....and the tonga had some growing below the point of the break....so time will tell....
Thanks for the advice guys.....

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
help..............

Meh. I've got it in my tank, and it's pretty much been controlled by my tuxedo urchin and copious snails. Naso tangs will also eat it, if your tank is large enough to accommodate one.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: