Will

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Hi,
Can you over buffer a tank. I am putting up a 30 gallon tank and was using a brute trash can to prepare 15 gallons of water at a time but somehow added 2x the amount of buffer it called for. It called for 1 scoop for 10 gal . So I dumped in 3 ....that's double ...don't know what I was thinking at the time ??? I dumped the 15 gal of water in the 30 gal tank and then added another 15 gal to the trash can to prepare it when I realized what I did. The water is 2/3 tap and 1/3 RO water because my tap water is 8.2 and the RO water is 6.0 but together they are 7.0. Now I have 15 gal of water and I need to declorinate it and buffer it. Not sure what the heck the best thing is to do now.
I checked the water in the tank with 2x the buffer and it is 7.0.I am leaning towards buffering the 15 gal of water in the can with 1.5 scoops as it should be and dump it in the tank.At least it would be 4.5 scoops to 30 gal and not double the prescribed amount

I want to get 2 big Gouramis in the tank tonight if possible cause they are in a 5 gal holding tank which has started to build up ammonia . Last check it was 1.0...I dumped and replaced a gallon to help... These fish were given to me with a free tank.
I have 3 reef tanks at the moment and I am not a freshwater guy!!!

Any quick help ...suggestions ...would be appreciated

I used API Proper PH 7.0
adjusts Ph and maintains it to that level also removes chlorine, neutralizes chloromines, adds electrolites , detoxifies heavy metals.

Will

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
It seems over buffering the tank didn't do any damage. The fish have been in the 30 gal about 24hr and look fine,

So I answered my own question ..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: