BFITZ06

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
so im going to build my own sump to run 3 tanks 42gal, 30gal and a 10 gal . the sump is going to be made out of 1/4 "plexiglass and reinforced with 1/2 bracing. the sump will be about 48"x15x20 . 8"x6'' area for lr/bioballs, 15''X16'' area for a fragtank, areas for a skimmer/reactor and a small fuge .
so my ?? are
1.what do i glue the plexiglass with that is reef safe?
2.what type of skimmer should i use? i was looking at the odyssea PS160 ?
3.has anyone run the odyssea ps160 before ?
4. what type of return pump should i run, i know it depends on the overflows im going to run so any ideas on overflows would help to
this is going to be my first sump , only tanks i have had are aquapods , biocubes, and hob filters so any input would help

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
Not sure how much the plexi will cost, but have you thought of using a standard 55 gallon aquarium (48"L x 13"W x 20"H) as a sump instead of building one? Weigh the cost differences and if you use an internal pump then the glass doesn't need to be drilled. Good luck!

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would do like macro said and use a standard glass tank and simply glue in partitions with aquarium silicone.
i would use live rock and macroalgae in that chamber you are considering for bio balls and toss a light over it and make yourself a refugium. this way you would only need 3 chambers.
i've made a few sumps, and one i made out of a 55 gallon tank for one of my customers. this was a simple design with 3 chambers, intake with skimmer, refugium, and return.
i used cutting boards from walmart for partitions. i cut them with a circular saw and glued them in with aquarium silicone. very easy and affordable.
i also used cutting boards on a few other sumps, including a standard 125 which i have been using for the last few years.
here are some pics-
standard 55-
55sumpwithskimmer.jpg

some partitions installed-
bafflesinstalled.jpg

sump installed-
gymtanksump.jpg

and here is my 6 foot sump in my basement with a little tutorial...
http://renegadereefers.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=93

BFITZ06

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Homedepot has 4x8 sheets for 99 . If I use a 55 gal tank i could make the 10 gal. The frag tank . If I go that way what pump should I use?

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
to divide between 3 tanks a magdrive 9.5 or possibly the next size up. and for the other questions i would do what they said above use a regular glass tank, silicone in divisions and make a refugium. for the skimmer i would go euroreef or a asm skimmer

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
so im going to build my own sump to run 3 tanks 42gal, 30gal and a 10 gal . the sump is going to be made out of 1/4 "plexiglass and reinforced with 1/2 bracing. the sump will be about 48"x15x20 . 8"x6'' area for lr/bioballs, 15''X16'' area for a fragtank, areas for a skimmer/reactor and a small fuge .
so my ?? are
1.what do i glue the plexiglass with that is reef safe?
2.what type of skimmer should i use? i was looking at the odyssea PS160 ?
3.has anyone run the odyssea ps160 before ?
4. what type of return pump should i run, i know it depends on the overflows im going to run so any ideas on overflows would help to
this is going to be my first sump , only tanks i have had are aquapods , biocubes, and hob filters so any input would help
Use Weld-on #4 for all the connections, its a clear liquid that melts the plastic to join the pieces and evaportates away so its completely reef safe. There is a good write up on Melevs reef on how to properly glue them to get mostly bubble free joints. As well as basics on layout and stuff to get a better idea. Im guessing you understand overflow dividers. Don't forget about the extra water your tanks are gonna dump into the sump when all the pumps are off.

Also, careful with the plexi at home depot. All that ive seen there is the brittle safety plexi and not the softer acrylic that most acrylic places sell. You don;t want the safety plexi/lexan. 1/4" will be fine with bracing plus your overflows are going to further stabilize the tank. There is a place called E&T plastic in long island city thats cheaper and easier to get to than canal street for plexi but only sell whole sheets. Sheets are gonna run you about 100-130$ for 1/4" clear acrylic.

Throw away the bio balls. Since your going to now throw out your bio balls =0), and your fuge is going to do the work of a LR chamber or macro chamber you now have an extra 8x6" area to work with for over fill water. And how are you planning on plumbing all 3 tanks into the 1 sump?

You can always go with a glass tank and silicone in dividers. Going to work the same way

BFITZ06

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
tosiek
i have all 3 tanks on a stand that i build wth the sump going under them, i was thinking about running a some type of manifold of the return pump to get the water back in the tank? what do you think ?

BFITZ06

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
yeah i know but trying to use what i have to keep the price down . if this works out and i finish my house projects ill be upgrading to a 90-120 in a year or so and i could just use the stuff i have.
Im going to go with the 55gal its just faster and alot easier, so if anyone knows of anyone that has one laying around ill take it !

jnohs

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i agree that a standard tank is the easiest way to go. I use a 20 gallon tank for the sump on my 75g tank. nice and easy. I didnt eve use baffells. just plastic crates with holes to hold the rock rubble.

this is the orignial sump in operation
fish005.jpg

this is with a chiller loop and 75watt frag light in operation
fishes007.jpg

this is the chiller in the bioler room on the other side of the fish wall

fishes014.jpg

Last edited:

BFITZ06

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
i think i found a tank on reefcentral , thanks everyone for you input im sure ill have a few more ? before i get this thing up and running

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: