• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our saltwater aquarium community?
    JOIN NOW

Carpentersreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Since the Rio PH failure Wed. A.M., I've had the carbon and floss running steady, and have been able to change 35 gallons of water. Every now and then I've noticed a new slick of scum showing up in my refugium, and I've just used a paper towel to pick it up. The skimmer has started skimming again just this morning. In the sump, there were little black chunks of "whatever" on the walls and were "bleeding" back into the water from the salt spray, so I've wiped the walls off clean, but there's still some chunks stuck to the pipe joints and hoses, and I will be replacing those. I've yet to see any polyp extension on about half of my corals, and one of my SPS colonies shed about half of it's skin. The other SPS remains pale.
All shrimp molted that night. There have been no confirmed deaths so far, including baby bangaiis', nudibranch, anemones, clams, oysters or any other filter feeders. I'm going to keep up with the water changes, clean as much as I can take apart this weekend and keep the carbon and floss going for another week. I wonder how much water I should change? Can you change too much? At 15g/day, probably not.
This little "incident" has made me want a larger system now, as I believe that it's size (240 -250g) was a factor in things not turning out worse. (not that I didn't want a bigger one, anyways
icon_biggrin.gif
)

Thanks,
Mitch

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: