Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I post also here, for Randy! (many thanks in advance!)
I've a Ca-Co2 reactor. As usual, I am worried about the low ph in the morning (7,8-8) despite using also a Kwasser reactor. The question is... making the effluent running in SOMETHING (i've read Ca carbonate..) this can lead to a Co2 adsorbition and so to a higher ph? What you suggest?
And, more, I've read that adding a 10%, of the total, dolomite crushed rock this can give us also the Mg we need. In Italy there is a product that is mainly dolomite rock (born for the marine aquarium but not for using in the original idea in the Ca reactor) and now my effluent is 1350 from 1200 in Mg. What you think about?

randy holmes-farley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it will do much to raise the pH (without delivering too much magnesium), but you certainly can raise the magnesium that way. Just be careful that it doesn't rise too much. Ocassional use of dolomite, or lowp ercentages in the mix might suffice if, in fact, the normal media does not contain adequate magnesium to maintain normal levels in you tank.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks for your BIG help Randy!!!
I've found in Italy a product that should be MAINLY dolomite rock crushed... but when I asked to the manufacture, they answered that the composition of the product (intended for marine aquarium) is:
CaO) 40,4 %
(MgO) 25,8 %
(FeO3) + (Al2O3) 0,6 %
(CO2 + H2O) 33,2 %

And so, I don't know if this can be dangerous in a tank or in a Co2 reactor...

Ideas?

The other question is... making the effluent of a co2 Ca reactor running in SOMETHING (i've read Ca carbonate..) this can lead to a Co2 adsorbition and so to a higher ph? What you suggest?

randy holmes-farley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should defiantely not use that as the only thing in the reactor because the magnesium will get too high in the tank. It would be OK in small amounts if you know that you need to raise magneisum (measure it with a test kit first and then also while using it).

The other question is... making the effluent of a co2 Ca reactor running in SOMETHING (i've read Ca carbonate..) this can lead to a Co2 adsorbition and so to a higher ph? What you suggest?

Runnign it over more calcium carbonate media is supposed to help raise the pH, but those attempts are usually not very successful. Here's an article on pH problems:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/ ... 2/chem.htm

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"The other question is... making the effluent of a co2 Ca reactor running in SOMETHING (i've read Ca carbonate..) this can lead to a Co2 adsorbition and so to a higher ph? What you suggest?

Runnign it over more calcium carbonate media is supposed to help raise the pH, but those attempts are usually not very successful. "

I belive that this happen because there can be precipitations.
Isn't enough to see if there are precipitations to read the values of effluent water from teh secon carbonate chamber? If the ph raise, and if the kh and Ca are unaffected, or risen, all is ok? Or not?
Thanks, marco

randy holmes-farley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure that I understand that last question. The pH rises in that situation because more CaCO3 dissolves into the water.

There shouldn't be any precipitation. Any precipitation that there might be, for example, by blowing off CO2 gas to the air, would be undesirable because it would likely be CaCO3, so the alkalinity and calcium will decline. That won't happen in a closed second chamber.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excuse me, I've posted in an horrible english.
But I've understand your answer *I belive*, and was what I wanted to know! The second chamber isn't so effective, but can lead to a little improvement in ph, and maybe more Ca and Kh in the tank water. Is so? If yes, I've finally understood!

More, about the product made of:
CaO) 40,4 %
(MgO) 25,8 %
(FeO3) + (Al2O3) 0,6 %
(CO2 + H2O) 33,2 %
that should be mainly dolomite sand: me and a friend of mine tried it in the Ca reactor, with the idea of raising Mg. What we ve seen is that in this is not so effective. But, not in the reactor, but in the sump, it seem give us 0,2 more of ph (think 8----8,2). Is this possibile?
And that al203 is dangerous? I knew that Al is toxic... you think that the product is reef safe?

randy holmes-farley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I've understand your answer *I belive*, and was what I wanted to know! The second chamber isn't so effective, but can lead to a little improvement in ph, and maybe more Ca and Kh in the tank water. Is so? If yes, I've finally understood!

Yes, that's it!

. But, not in the reactor, but in the sump, it seem give us 0,2 more of ph (think 8----8,2). Is this possibile?

In a reactor it will dissolve slowly. In a sump, it may not dissolve to any significant extent, but as it does, it may raise pH, so the pH rise could have been due to some magnesium carboante dissolution, yes.

And that al203 is dangerous? I knew that Al is toxic... you think that the product is reef safe?

I'm not sure. People use aluminum oxide to bind phosphate (like Seachem's Phosguard), but others knock that product for permitting dissolution of aluminum. I don't know if it dissolves or not, or whether the amount that does dissolve is a problem or not.
In the case of your dolomite, the uncertainty is the same.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: