• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Boba

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 gal w/120lbs of 80% Corraline covered rock, 1 Leather and an Elegance. I am completely unable to raise my calcium level (340) and alk is very unstable (but usually 6-8.5. Ph is 8.2, salinity is 1.025 and Magnesium is 1260. I drip Kalk 24/7 and average 1.5 gals. per day. Ihave tried Reef Advantage and Turbo Calcium and they both actually seem to lower the calcium level. I have used 2 different Salifert test kits and they both read the same. What could I be missing?

Greg Moore

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know it isn't what you want to hear, but I was having the same problem. Used kalk, A/B etc etc. Got it over 410 a couple of times but it was brutally unstable. I also asked the same question, had tons of helpfull info and ideas, none panned out.

I built a calcium reactor, I am now in tank heaven! I have added nothing but iodide for a couple of weeks now, ph is 8.1, ca=440 and hardness is 12.5dkh, without a flutter in any reading.

If you can, build one, or buy a used one or something, they really do work well and it's great to see, especially this time of year when I have better things to do then constant additives and drips.

Greg Moore

Cindy S

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I powered up my tank in April. I haven't been able to get my calcium level above 325ppm, even though I'm dripping about 2 gallons @ 2t./gallon Kalkwasser per day. All other parameters are good and stable. My lfs says I shouldn't worry if the corals and coralline are looking good. They are!!! He said they are using up the calcium and that eventually the level would come up.

Toadally1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cindy,

Have you tried using a different test kit? About a month ago I changed kits and got a reading that was way off. I took it back to the LFS and we went through five different brands, each one gave a different reading. We even got a different reading using the same brand I was using off the shelf.

I've been using Seatest kits for years with good results. HTH

smokin reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, get a test kit to check your mag. levels. Then get you some mag. additive and get your mag. up (1300 to 1500). Bet this solves your problem.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: