Shananagans

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
So since I came back from vac in August my corals were not looking great. Lost some others, others doed a slow death, and some look fine. What I did notice it Acros seem to be uneffected...

I am sadly kinda lazy with testing so I did the other night. What I saw shocked me. My tank is norm great with cal 550+ range and ph 7-9. But when I tested my cal was 220 and alk was 18. I tested again last night and same thing.

I have purple up and liquid reef. I read the bottle and added some liquid reef to up the cal, because it mentioned nothing of alk. I later checked on there site and it says it will up alk too. Wish they would have put that on the bottle. I added alittle mag to the tank last night too.

Anyway what would be the best way to get things back in order? A cal reactor is out of the question.

My salt that I use is Tropicmairne pro, I think next time around I will not get the pro version. My tank is mainly sps frags with a few zoas. Like I said acros seem ok. Montis, pocil, and birdnest are not happy. I just switched over to kessil leds. I just hooked up some npx pellets almost 2 weeks ago too. 57g rimless.

This is prob partially my fault as in the past my alk was a little low due to frequent water top offs. So I started adding alk buffer to my ro water when toping off. Probly should have kept a better eye on that.

Sorry for the long read, any help would be great.

Last edited:

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Seems like A LOT has changed with the tank in the past few weeks. Vacation, parameters swinging up and down, lighting, biopellets. You should try and make changes gradually. I don't think a pH of 18 is even possible is it? I thought 14 was the highest? What kind of test kits are you using?

Shananagans

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
It wasnt all righ ton top of each other lights were a month and 1/2 ago, pellets about 1 and 1/2 weeks ago. But agreed, it makes it hard to figure some things out with so many changes.

The kit is api. I thought that was crazy high too.

Shananagans

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
No, i don't have 2 part. I have been wanting to pick some up. But won't that raise alk too?

They don't have an exp date on the container, right?

I just did another 5g water change, I try to test again when I get back home.

I just re read it. My ph is not 18, my alk is. Ph was like 8.4.

Last edited:

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have purple up and liquid reef.

These are not calcium sup's an can raise hell with a tank and do not due as claimed by a long shot.

That Alk of 18, if that is 18 dKH is form all that stuff you added is floating around in the tank interring with the Alk kit.

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
U need to get ur levels normal with water changes ! Then start testing to see if and how much 2 part u will need to dose! I really like esv 2 part!
If u don't have alot of corals and no Sps u might be able to keep ur levels right just doing weekly water changes ! U need good test kits b4 u do anything ! Check cal alk and ph !! Lots of info online about this stuff but can be very confusing for newbie! I'd stat reading some articles online then posting questions u have after reading!! Good luck!!!

Shananagans

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
So, I brought some water to a local store and tehy confirmed my test kit is fine. But that does mean my levels are crazy off.

I did a 10% change today and added some calcium from the 2 part I picked up last night. Tested again, still needs work but alk went down and cal went up.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: