sef20

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just starting up my first 120 gallon reef tank. I was wondering if any one could tell me if a calcium reactor is necessary. What does a calcium reactor do?
Thanks for the help

It will be a SPS and LPS tank :splitspin

Galantra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Well it would be a choice of CA reactor or Dosing Calcuim.A calcium reactor basically works on a couple of basic ingredients, a container ( the reactor ) and the media ( calcium carbonate ) and carbon dioxide. All that happens is the water is passed through the reactor and over the media with the carbon dioxide being injected. Injecting the carbon dioxide will effectivly make the end product acidic by lowering the pH. When the pH is lowers and becomes acidic, the calcium carbonate is then disolved and flows into the aquarium to be absorbed by the corals.
"A calcium reactor is a simple, convenient solution used to maintain calcium and alkalinity in a reef aquarium. They require little maintenance after the initial setup and are almost a necessity for tanks heavily stocked with stony corals, where calcium and alkalinity demands are high." -(taken from Marine Depot)

here are links on CA Reactor
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/sh/feature/index.php

Dosing is minus the reactor where you purchase a pump or do it manually adding it to your tank

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: