Rating - 100%
91   0   0

thomashtom

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Just recently lost 6 lyretail anthias during various stages of qt...no meds, just for observation in the qt. 15 years as an aquarist, so not my first time buying fish, acclimating, etc...but never had such poor results. Gonna chalk it up to a more difficult species.

No appetite, lethargic, odd swimming behaviors...this was my first attempt at a qt and im seriously starting to doubt it.

I understand its purpose and I really wanted to believe I was doing the right thing. But I just don't know if the stressed endured during qt outweighs the risk of the "old dump and pray". I think buying from a reputable person and checking for obvious signs of disease and poor health are a good place to start when stocking an aquarium.

Their dragged home, acclimated to a new and most likely undersized tank, treated with medications that kick their asses...only to be ripped out of their and acclimated to another tank a few weeks later.

Sorry...but im not sold on the whole qt thing yet.

Spartanwarrior

Reefer Always Learning
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Just recently lost 6 lyretail anthias during various stages of qt...no meds, just for observation in the qt. 15 years as an aquarist, so not my first time buying fish, acclimating, etc...but never had such poor results. Gonna chalk it up to a more difficult species.

No appetite, lethargic, odd swimming behaviors...this was my first attempt at a qt and im seriously starting to doubt it.

I understand its purpose and I really wanted to believe I was doing the right thing. But I just don't know if the stressed endured during qt outweighs the risk of the "old dump and pray". I think buying from a reputable person and checking for obvious signs of disease and poor health are a good place to start when stocking an aquarium.

Their dragged home, acclimated to a new and most likely undersized tank, treated with medications that kick their asses...only to be ripped out of their and acclimated to another tank a few weeks later.

Sorry...but im not sold on the whole qt thing yet.
Really interesting points especially since only 2 months ago i bought and just dumped 4 lyretail anthias from Advanced Marine Aquatics. The normal "is it eating at the store and observation for 20+ min" at Andrew's store usually has me feeling comfortable doing this. And being that my 4 females are now a fat and happy 3 females and 1 male make me think I did the best thing for them (no qt, no meds, no more stress)
However, with tangs, who have a reputation for carrying disease and being easily stressed, I felt I owed my tank due dilligence. I guess it will be a case by case basis. Nice to have the QT here and ready but not be tied down by it.

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Qt is the only way to go with the amount of ich and velvet these days. Believe me once you get an outbreak you will know why!!!!

Absolutely!

It helps to have an established qt, I use real reef live rock for all my qt and fish only tanks. They provide biological filtration for ammonia and simulate natural environment for fish. Plus I can hypo and cupramine with no problems.

Now you know my secrets :)

STRIPERVIPER

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.8%
161   2   0
Cp

I have zero experience on cp. I read a lot on it. Seems as though the big draw is u can use it to treat in a reef tank. But as mentioned you can?t test for levels. I use copper and keep it on the low side of the effective doasage. 0.4. I add slowly over three days. Honestly I have found the fish react more negatively to the prazi. The dump and pray method is just asking for disaster. I?m sure there?s plenty of guys who can jump in here and say how they?ve never had an issue. But why risk it. I use a 20 breeder as my qt. I don?t usually buy large fish as I like to buy them small and watch them grow. And have qt up to 4 fish at once with great success. I use a small hob filter with no carbon. I also have a small power head to keep flow high. I initially just put the fish in to ensure they?re healthy and eating before I start any meds. I do 15 days of copper after I have gotten it to the effective dosage and after the 15 days I do a 5 gallon water change and then do 7 days of prazi. All in it?s usually about a month. I would say about 75% of my fish make it through the process. I have had this tank up for 2 years and have yet to have any disease outbreak. Initially I was going w the dump and pray but I had a bad outbreak of ich and it was a nightmare. I pulled all the fish out set up a big qt and treated them all and laid my tank fallow for 11 weeks. Lost a lot of my fish in that time. And learned an expensive lesson. I have qt small angels and numerous wrasses with great results. In regards to the Achilles this is the fish along with copperband butterflies that I have found the most difficult to qt. I?ve gone through 4 butterflies with no survivors. My fourth Achilles was the survivor and I love him. Just my experience

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: