E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I'm a complete beginner when it comes to cameras. I've been doing some research and want to buy one.

I would like a nice DSLR with a decent macro lens and something for "outdoor, nature, people type pictures". Not wanting to spend TONS of money, what's my best strategy?

Used? Body only? I'm looking at the Canon T3 body only with a decent macro Lens to start but I don't have crazy money to get started. I'm not looking for specific recommendations but just a few tips about buying strategy.

Help a reefer on a budget!

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Thanks for that link. I'll have to check it out.

Question for the camera pro's out there-- Is a built in focus motor really important? I'm looking at the Nikon D3200... It's cheaper than the t3i but looks better (minus the built in focus). Apparently it can control the different lenses that don't have that ability

bizzarro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it is a big of a deal considering Nikon has been releasing many lens with built in motors. There is many more lens w/ built in motor than what was available when I got the D40 5 years ago. I think you can still use the older lens but in manual focus mode only.

I'd check out the Nikon 40mm lens, just under $300. It has macro capability and good for potrait and outdoors. You're going to be limited with macro tank shots if it's not too close to the glass. So if you going to be taking tank shots, I'd recommend investing in another lens for that.

Check out this link for shots taking from a specific lens to give you an idea.
http://www.pixel-peeper.com/

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: