jay1335

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok so my lamo Kodak easy share wont keep up with some of the pics I see around here and im looking to get a bit better at taking pics. I'm not looking to spend a million bucks here but def want something I can take some good shots with. What does everyone recommend and how much can I get it for? Thanks!!

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
There's a camera for every budget. What's yours? Once you've ironed that out, go here:
DPReview Features Search. Plug in the features you want, and it'll spit out some cameras for you. If you don't know what a particular feature will do for you, simply choose "Don't Mind".

jay1335

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
im looking to spend about 200-400 on a camera. As far as features go I have no clue what I need. Just looking to do a bit more than point and shoot. Something I can learn with, so I dont need something really complicated.

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
If you're looking for a digital Point and Shoot, consider the canon SD870IS. I originally tried out a Nikon Coolpix but wasn't happy and returned it for the canon. You can find it for under $300 ( beachcameras.com is where I bought it ), it shoots quickly and good quality photos.

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Yeah, it's worth it, if you've got the money to spend. I've got a digital SLR and I also have a p&s.

Features you will need to photograph your tank:
Manual white Balance
MACRO
shutter priority a good thing

jay1335

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok gotta break down the terms here I got p&s(point and shoot) but what is slr? And can you go more in depth with macro? Thanks for the help!!

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
is it worth getting something that I can get diff lenses for?

Its only worth it if you will utilize all the advantages. I have a film SLR as photography is a serious hobby of mine but for the vast majority of photography that most people do, a good digital P & S is more than sufficient. Most models allow enough settings options for you to play around with and experiment and take good photos.

SLR = single lens reflex camera. In a point and shoot camera the lens does not see the exact same scene that you do since your viewfinder does not actually look through the lens it has a different line of sight. SLR's fix that by using a prism and mirror to reflect the image that comes through the lens onto your viewfinder and into your eye. When you depress the shutter, the mirror lifts up so the image now is projected onto the film behind it and the image is the exact same as you saw. I dont know if this problem exists with digital P&S and many people never notice the difference anyhows. The main advantage to an SLR is that they are modular - you can change lens to accomodate different goals. But they are expensive. The body of the camera may only cost you a couple of hundred but a cheap lens will start at more than that.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: