Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I have used them quite a bit and feel that they are fine. You need to clean them and replace the media in them very frequently or they will be a problem causing your nitrate levels to skyrocket quickly. If your maintenance schedule is good then you should be fine.

bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
I ran a canister filter for more then 8 months ,, u just need to stay on to of the manitence ,, and clean regularly

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

DJYoshi

A Newbie to the Reef Game
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I have used them quite a bit and feel that they are fine. You need to clean them and replace the media in them very frequently or they will be a problem causing your nitrate levels to skyrocket quickly. If your maintenance schedule is good then you should be fine.

I've used my fluval 305 with no problems (knock on wood), but yes I do change the carbon and those bio rings alternating in months and give a rinse to the filter bi-weekly.

But I do plan on going sump as soon as I upgrade the tank..and get a nice fat $160 worth of credit at Petco!

DJYoshi

A Newbie to the Reef Game
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
You recommend a monthly change of the carbon? I was thinking I would change the rings less frequently to keep some of the bacteria and swap only half when I do change them.

I have media bag holders in mine so the bottom I have 2 bags of activated carbon
2nd I have 2 bags of phosban
3rd I have 2 bags of ceramic rings

month a I change the carbon
month b I change the 1 bag of rings while rinsing the other in rodi and I mean RINSE it. they can be a nitrate factory

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: