DallasNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Christmas came early.
Got a Canon D10 Camera.
It's the water proof one.
I was never happy with my pictures thru the glass or above the tank due to specs on the glass or the rippling water surface.
Got home late last night, so all the pics were taken with just the actinics on. I was playing with the white balance and color choices and features. So I haven't got all the true colors right just yet. But I'm pretty happy how this frogspawn came out..
I would have taken more with all the lights on today but had to deal with other things today as yu will see in the pics...

DallasNYC_FrogSpawn1.jpg

Last edited:

DallasNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
So i'm taking pictures and I see something strange on one of the zoas rocks. First thing I think is maybe it's a nudibranch?
-DallasNYC_whatisit1.jpg

I get the tweezers out and give it a good tug. The piece breaks off, its pretty stiff and you can see tubes from its body. So I'm pretty sure it's a softy of some sort..
DallasNYC_whatIsIt2.jpg

So now I'm thinking all is good and just as i'm putting the frag back in the tank, I see this crawling across it...
-DallasNYC_Spider.jpg

Uuuurrrgggg! A zoa eating spider?
And now maybe some eggs under the little ledge?
-DallasNYC_eggs.jpg

So I've taken the spider out and it turns out the 'little ledge' was a piece of plastic glued onto the rock. Probably from it's original fragging. I went ahead and cleaned everything out from under the piece...
-DallasNYC_whatIsIt3.jpg

So after that, the picture taking was over for a while, as I took out each zoa frag and gave them iodine dips and hard look overs. Did some more inpections today, and havent found anything else. Nor have I noticed any loss of zoas in any recent times.

Im going on vacation next week, but will post more pictures from the camera with all the lights on next time. The camera takes fine out of water pics too.

Enjoy

DallasNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Thanks all. Yes getting up close helps alot. I would say only about 1 out of 10 pics came out good, but I attribute that to my shaky hands, trying to do macro shots and low lighting.

The tank's not where I want it, so a full tank shot will have to wait. But I think posting more pics will get me the encouragement to get it where it should be. Here is a pic from this spring.
FTS-summer2009.jpg

I combined two tanks so ended up with more rock than I would like., I put all the rock up on pvc pipe pillers. I like it, but I ended with too many side surfaces and not enough top surfaces. Sadly, I used quick setting cement to make the rock rings. which worked fine, but now about 8 months later, the cement is crumbling, so half the rocks are down in the sand again. I'm trying to figure out a way to connect the rings again and get more ledge rock out for more top surfaces. I plan on doing a tank thread documenting my trials and errors.

Currenlty I have all the frags on eggcrate that is supported on top of the pvc pillers.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: