lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I have one of those crappy canopies, you know the ones... Too short, not enough room, and has one of those lids on the top instead of the front.

Anyway, i eventually want to build a new one, but in the meantime a few bucks a bit of elbow grease and I made a few improvements.

I installed a new piece of 1x2 molding to hold up the frame for my light fixtures. It's not a lot but its the most I could fit considering the height of the canopy. That allowed me to consider the next idea.

I actually had to do this step first, but what I did was make a mitered cut about 7 inches from the front of the canopy. I used L brackets to connect the lid to the new loose piece of canopy. Now the front and sides flip back along with the canopy.

I did the miter cut to have some overlap so there would be no light leakage on the sides. The few inches made a nice little difference. I can now get underneath and clean my center brace and reach to my overflow. The whole canopy can now slide back to the wall and the light fixture goes back nicely. I have a lot more room to work since now i can access from the rim of the tank instead of 8" higher on a step ladder.

redyny7a.jpg
uvynypa7.jpg
tu3ature.jpg
uremy7an.jpg
uga4aqe6.jpg
u6egedut.jpg
umynypu8.jpg
evuve9ug.jpg

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
All it needed were the brackets had to get 1/2" screws and some 1 inch screws. I ended up using a hacksaw to cut it. I need to put a small cut on the end of the miter where it folds back but it's working fine for now.

JP it's been a while now...you definitely need to check it out!

Onkra, get it done! It was cake! I only wish I'd done it sooner. If you want to come check it out, i can even give you the strips of wood.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: