A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not legal to posses in the US with out a permit so doesn't matter if he can ship it.

bobimport

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Re Ugly Ricordea funny I have been selling football size ricordea for $100+ nope no Elk Horn trying not to go to the gray bar hotel try this Isophyllia sinuosa Scolymia lacera Scolymia cubensis ( all over the place) Mussa angulosa 12" across
and oh yes red rodactus

mpedersen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ask solely out of curiousity as I am planning a Florida-themed display reef but have NOT yet researched my corals (in other words, I'm asking a question that given research, I could probably find an answer to somewhere else. Fish breeding is my thing...yo.).

Is it legal to possess the Florida type Fire Corals I saw growing off the Keys? Is this species permitted or outlawed in the US?

jhemdal1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt,

My understanding, (but I'm NOT a lawyer!) is that Caribbean stony corals that are found growing on FARMED live rock are legal for sale in the U.S. However, Acropora palmata and A. cervicornis are ESA listed - so any possesion of those would likely still be illegal unless there was a permit granted. Millepora should be fine if it is growing on cultured live rock. ANY wild collected stony corals are highly illegal of course.

Jay Hemdal

p.s. - see you at the MBI conference in a couple of weeks?

mpedersen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[email protected]":1j7v0mgr said:
Collection of coral in Florida is regulated, but legal for most varieties (not staghorn, elkhorn or fire coral though). See:

http://www.eregulations.com/florida/fis ... /pageFlip/

Page 10.

Jeff

Actually I read this a bit differently, as ALL hard corals, including fire corals and acroporids, but also any other coral we'd normally call "LPS" or "SPS", are part of the prohibition, as are Sea Fans too. Which leaves only Gorgonians and Polyps. The live rock workaround is great..just kinda wish it included Stag and Elk as well but I get how it wouldn't.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Collection of any and all Gorgonia as well as any and all scleractinian corals in Florida is ILLEGAL.

Possession is only illegal for Acropora.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mwp":2gvszu1f said:
coprolite":2gvszu1f said:
Collection of any and all Gorgonia as well as any and all scleractinian corals in Florida is ILLEGAL.

Just to avoid any confusion, Gorgonia = Sea Fans. Not Gorgonians.

really? Its always been my understanding that "gorgonia" is used for sea fans/sea whips/gorgonians.

mpedersen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgonia is a genus. The genus with all the off-limits sea fans. Gorgonians (gorgonia not being the plural of the singular gorgonian) are collected and shipped out of Florida all the time by ever collector down there...but good luck getting them to touch a sea fan. That's my take. A confusing issue to be sure, which is why I felt a need to clarify the "collection of any and all Gorgonia is illegal" because in fact if you take "Gorgonia" to be the plural of the common name "gorgonian", well, all those OTHER Octocorals would be off limits, which they are not per the rules - http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/regu ... m-species/ - only sea fans (Gorgonia) are off limits in FL.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your last sentence kinda supports what I am saying (Gorgonia) ;) Yes its a genus, its also used as a common name, like dog rather than canine.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: