Jrsydevi1

Experienced Reefer
Ok.. after seeing all the awesome pics from these boards, I just had to go out and get a Digital camera..
So, now I have a pic of this guy who came in on my gulf-View live rock.

Probably aiptasia, but I never have seen one like this... what do you think?
[ June 10, 2001: Message edited by: Jrsydevi1 ]
View

[ June 10, 2001: Message edited by: Jrsydevi1 ]

wla20

Reefer
If it makes you feel any better I was at a public aquarium a few months ago, one of the tanks was completely infested with aiptasia so I thought to myself wow they're really plagued by the things I wonder whats actually meant to be in here since nothing moving was evident. I looked at the tank label and it just said "Rock Anenome: Aiptasia species." If you can't beat `em, join `em I guess!
icon_biggrin.gif

Great picture by the way, what size is the litle beastie?

Wayne

MedicineMan1

Advanced Reefer
That doesn't look like any Aiptasia I've ever seen. It looks more like an Anemonia sp. anemone. If I'm right, this is worse news than Aiptasia as these guys are much harder to kill (no known predators, don't respond well to kalk paste and are very hard to work out of their little crevice.)

Jrsydevi1

Experienced Reefer
He's about 3/4 inch across, and I have one more just like him.. but much smaller (uh oh
)
very prominent white six-pointed star at the mouth that I dont recall seeing on aiptasia..
Does anyone know of any source of info on anemonia sp. ?
And btw.. thanks Guy and MedMan for the assistance..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: