Luis M

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few people could raise the larvae,they are very tricky.Peppermints are much easier and a good species to begin with.

ToddG

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that the rearing process is similar to that of peppermint shrimp, but that their larval period is about twice as long. I've tried them a couple of times with no success so far, but I'll keep trying. I just had a hatch-out yesterday. They are much smaller than peppermint larvae and they appear to have a yolk reserve. I'm planning to add algae today and rotifers tomorrow.

Long larval periods are a real problem because of your limited ability to filter water in the rearing tank. If I can keep these guys going for a few weeks, I might try moving them to a clean tank. They seem to get caught up on the algae and hydroids that inevitably colonize the walls.

I'll keep you posted.

IslandReefer1

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For info on raising a lot of inverts,including cleaner shrimp, search out the
work of Rob Toonen. Also Dr. Ron and F.Marini have forums . Word is a very long larval stage and unknown settling cues.
good luck
John
8)

rsman

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get filtration in the larva tank, a pseudokarasel worked for me. plan on a LONG delay 120+ days for just the bigger ones 150 to unknown days for the ?runts?, dont sweat rots, but do get bbs going, be extra careful that the bbs do not have any shells left. dont use algae paste or concentrated algae. work at the upper end of the 70's for temp.

bbranham3

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
please explain your pseudokarasel. has anyone devised a super low flow overflow for the larval tanks that would maybe have plankton screen on the opening?

rsman":1bv1xo4u said:
get filtration in the larva tank, a pseudokarasel worked for me. plan on a LONG delay 120+ days for just the bigger ones 150 to unknown days for the ?runts?, dont sweat rots, but do get bbs going, be extra careful that the bbs do not have any shells left. dont use algae paste or concentrated algae. work at the upper end of the 70's for temp.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: