giantotter

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I recently placed two Ocellaris clowns in my tank last Tuesday. They're the first fish to go into my 55g tank, and were doing well until today. The bigger of the two clowns seems listless, hiding behind a rock. It seems to be respiring far too rapidly, and it's fins on the bottom... (wish i knew what they were called) are held flush against its body. This is in contrast to the other clown, which seems to be having a great time. I don't notice any spots to indicate an infection of some sort, so I'm at a loss for what to do. :(

thanks for your help

Lynn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think that I can help you, but I know there going to want more info on your tank, how old of tank? what are you water parameters? etc.

giantotter

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lynn":qnu8cdj8 said:
Don't think that I can help you, but I know there going to want more info on your tank, how old of tank? what are you water parameters? etc.

Lynn,
thanks for your reply -- unfortunately, the said clownfish didn't make it. I've had better success with a couple of yellowtail damsels. I suspect the LFS stock is of poor quality, since my water parameters seem to be acceptible, but who knows.

tnx again -- :)

giantotter

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lynn":yckdaspj said:

Lynn,
thanks for your reply -- unfortunately, the said clownfish didn't make it. I've had better success with a couple of yellowtail damsels. I suspect the LFS stock is of poor quality, since my water parameters seem to be acceptible, but who knows.

tnx again -- :)

L.Foley

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your clownfish most likely died from Brooklynella, a common killer of wild clownfish. Wild ocellaris are extremely hard to get healthy and free of brooklynella, so always buy tank raised ocellaris if you can. In order to treat the fish, you must do a formalin dip, in saltwater or fresh, but freshwater dips with formalin tend to be too harsh for most fish and it simply kills them, so I suggest 1ml of formalin/gal dip for 15-20mins. You should closely monitor the clownfish as well, while it is in the dip.

Good luck,
Leland Foley
Mainstream Aquatics

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: