M4gash

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I added an anemone to my 72 gallon bow front tank about a week ago but my clowns have not hosted it yet. Anything I should do to ecourage them? Never had this problem before with my previous tank.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Michael

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Theres nothing you can do. Just because you add an anmeone doesn't mean they'll host. They may never, they can do 1000% fine for their entire life without one so they aren't waiting for one to be introduced, especially if they never had one before they may never inquire what it is.

If you want, try not feeding for a couple of days longer than you usually do, shut off all flow and when the water is still you can feed right near where the anemone is and maybe they'll brush against it. If they do that then they will for sure stay in it.

My pair which I lost one of recently took a month and a half of mine being in the tank to find out they liked it. I recently introduced a new smaller on and the one from my old pair took to him right away luckily- the next morning I came out and the new guy was in another of the anemones- he got the crash course, but he only did because he obviously followed the leader.

Good luck

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Bad idea, I would not do this as you want the nem to go where it is most comfortable and stay there. A nomadic nem is a death sentence in a tank.
Try the feeding technique and be patient. My clowns did not go near the nem for a few months, until the day they did. Now they never leave.

LavaToad

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine took well over a year. It wasn't until we had a blackout and the lights were off for about a day, the next morning both were in the anemone. This was a condy anemone not a rbta... actually I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to get them to relocate to the rbta

jcdeng

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
I tried out my method just now, just placed new carpet anemone at where my clown usually sleeps at night. 2 hours later:

IMG_2060.jpg

IMG_2061.jpg

Coralreefer1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the Clown is captive bred, the presence of an anemone is a new thing to them and may require some time. Also, as mentioned above just because you have an anemone in your tank doesn't mean they will host it, or could take considerable time for them to take a liking to it. Moreover, often times, a Clown might host other things like a clams mantle, or species of coral such as Euphyllia, Platygyra, Xenia, Clavularia, pachyclavularia as well as Zoanthids. Then, there are only certain species of anemones that a particular Clown will host.

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
theres nothing you can do. Just because you add an anmeone doesn't mean they'll host. They may never, they can do 1000% fine for their entire life without one so they aren't waiting for one to be introduced, especially if they never had one before they may never inquire what it is.

If you want, try not feeding for a couple of days longer than you usually do, shut off all flow and when the water is still you can feed right near where the anemone is and maybe they'll brush against it. If they do that then they will for sure stay in it.

My pair which i lost one of recently took a month and a half of mine being in the tank to find out they liked it. I recently introduced a new smaller on and the one from my old pair took to him right away luckily- the next morning i came out and the new guy was in another of the anemones- he got the crash course, but he only did because he obviously followed the leader.

Good luck

1+

jcdeng

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
^agree, and my nem did move a little from the corner, turns out it wants to sit on the little piece of rubble right next to where was, still covering the clown's sleeping corner so i will have to wait till tonight to see it my clown will still sleep in it

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I tried out my method just now, just placed new carpet anemone at where my clown usually sleeps at night. 2 hours later:

IMG_2060.jpg

IMG_2061.jpg

Carpet anemones don't roam RBTA's do. When I introduced my nem into my last tank it started to move 10 minutes later and settled in where it was happy for the moment. Then over the next 2 weeks it was all over until finally settling in. The point imbarrie added is spot on. You CAN NOT put a RBTA where YOU want it to be. 99% of the time it will not stay there. Carpet vs. RBTA= apples vs. oranges.

jcdeng

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
I agree, I think carpets are easier b/c they like to stay on the sand bed instead of on rocks. But right now I kinda don't want my clowns near the nem b/c they are stressing it out (pulling on the nem's tentacles). Last night I had to put a hatchery box over the nem just to protect it. Today I remove the clown all together from the tank, hoping the nem can adjust to the new environment first before I give the clown another try.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: