arnjer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was wondering if i could use my substrate from two 55 gal tanks and put it in my 90 with 50% of my old water and about 140 lbs of LR or should i start with all new sand and seed it with some of the old sand the rock has been in the tanks over a year

thanx

jerry
icon_rolleyes.gif

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm confused. Are you getting rid of the two 55gl tanks ?
If not, you can put new sand in the 90gl and seed it with some sand from the 55gl's.
If you are, you can go either way, put new sand in and seed it or put all your old sand from the 55gl's into the 90gl.
Either way your gonna have a mini cycle as some critters will die off by putting all your old sand in or seeding your new sand.

Regards,
David Mohr

arnjer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm selling one of them and keeping the other for a prop tank so i will be taking both of them down this weekend i know there's something for ammonia i can add but i think that will just delay the process both tanks are pretty well stocked with corals: xenia turbinaria shrooms galaxia colt frag couple of brains green buttons leathers and a couple of sps that are doing well under 3x96 pc's i will have 5 fish one orbic batfish which is about 6" tall hence the taller tank and a yellow tang the rest of the fish are small like firefish and scissor tails i guess i could add the fish from one 55 gal and in a couple of weeks add the other fish any advice is appreciated

jerry

tetra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the deal. I've noticed when changing tanks, keeps as much old water as you can and add the difference to the new tank. Your occupants will adjust better and faster to the move. As for substrate, I would follow DavidMohr's advice.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: