• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

DrHarryLopez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I have two fighting conchs, every so often they bury themselves under the sand. The problem is that they stay there for days. No mention of hibernation or long periods of inactivity. My best guess is since its a hardy animal, and if food is in low availability they bury themselves and conserve energy. hmmm...
sleepingconch.jpg

LiveAquaria
"The beneficial Fighting Conch is not as aggressive as its name implies. Though a male Fighting Conch can be territorial towards other males of its own kind, the Fighting Conch is peaceful towards other tankmates. The Fighting Conch is a suitable addition to any home reef aquarium, where it will use its excellent sand sifting abilities to clean and aerate the substrate.

Praised for their hardiness, the Fighting Conch requires open, deep sand beds in which it can forage for food. Though multiple Fighting Conches should be housed in larger systems, single specimens are suited for any size reef aquarium. Keep in mind that the Fighting Conch has a voracious appetite; as such, supplemental feeding is required in smaller systems and recommended in even the largest aquarium setups. Classified as an omnivore, the Fighting Conch will consume detritus from your aquarium substrate. Supply pieces of fresh fish and dried seaweed, as well as high quality frozen foods to supplement the diet of the Fighting Conch. Like other invertebrates, the Fighting Conch is sensitive to high levels of nitrate and will not tolerate copper-based medications."

bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
I just picked up 3 lil ones from pet warehouse ,, and I only see one of them now ,, lol things are always disappearing in my tank

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
I was wondering about that Harry I saw them just sitting there lookin like empty shells. I personally have no experience but I have heard the same Barrie said they are active at night.

BigDog maybe things are always disappearing cuz you buy everything in sight! LOL They are probably eating eachother to survive. He's like the new INNEED.

Just don't go quitting on us in 2 months. LOL

fallenlordz

Cant hear you under Water
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I bought 3 of them like 4 months ago. They got cool eyes and mouths that move around :)

I see them climbing the glass and eating my algae sometimes. These days I see little babies on the original 3 back shells, with little elephant mouths searching for foods. :bablefish

Very cool additions to my tank.

bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
TRIGGERMAN said:
I was wondering about that Harry I saw them just sitting there lookin like empty shells. I personally have no experience but I have heard the same Barrie said they are active at night.

BigDog maybe things are always disappearing cuz you buy everything in sight! LOL They are probably eating eachother to survive. He's like the new INNEED.

Just don't go quitting on us in 2 months. LOL

Cmon mann,,, quitting is for losers ,, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: