Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello everybody! I haven't been on here in a while but I have a question for anybody out here in MR. I have a Red Mandarin Dragonet and he has gone through all of my pods in the tank! I thought it would take him a little bit to decimate the pod colony so I waited to buy the live tigger pods from my LFS. However it only been a few days and they're almost all gone! I was wondering if anyone had a good pod colony that I could get a few and try and start a colony in a separate bucket? I would appreciate the help or any guidance, thanks.

SFWBreefguy

ReefFan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Hello everybody! I haven't been on here in a while but I have a question for anybody out here in MR. I have a Red Mandarin Dragonet and he has gone through all of my pods in the tank! I thought it would take him a little bit to decimate the pod colony so I waited to buy the live tigger pods from my LFS. However it only been a few days and they're almost all gone! I was wondering if anyone had a good pod colony that I could get a few and try and start a colony in a separate bucket? I would appreciate the help or any guidance, thanks.

SFWBreefguy

Honestly your best bet is to set up a small overflowing refugium if possible. Its alot to go through for one fish but I did it and its become a great display tank and it feeds the tank on a continuous basis. Not to mention a pump-free zone that tank water is pumped through houses attractive macros that seahorses can cling to and feed on their own. The macro algae would serve as a nutrient control mechanism as well as the pods themselves. Its worked wonderfully for me and my system. PM me if youd like more info.

dj ze

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
if you dont have a refugium it will never survive i have tried them in the past without a fuge with no luck now i have one for over a year with a 45 gallon fuge if you need some chaeto i have tons of it with living copepods all types of pods actually .you can have it for free you just have to come and pick it up

M

madrid01

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Hello everybody,
Thank you for suggestion.

if you dont have a refugium it will never survive i have tried them in the past without a fuge with no luck now i have one for over a year with a 45 gallon fuge if you need some chaeto i have tons of it with living copepods all types of pods actually .you can have it for free you just have to come and pick it up

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0

SFWBreefguy

while trying to start up a pod culture quickly isn't a bad idea, the odds are that you will be unable to get enough of them breeding fast enough to keep up with the mandarins consumption. either way i would check with Dom at Diamonds of the Reef for pods.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: