NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i noticed for a while my metal hang on thermometer had brown like build up. i took it out and tried to wash it off but it doesnt wash off.. it also smells metally. i called my lfs and the guy said it is copper and to take it out rite away. is this really copper? because my corals have been fine for 2 months already ever since i added this thermometer. i dont think it's copper. the thermometer is stainless steel i think. one time i added the water from the bag of the fish i was acclimating into the tank.. maybe that was the copper that collected on the thermometer? heres how it looks. it's by aquatic gardens.. note my turbo snail did die a few days ago. maybe it was because he was on the thermometer and it had copper on it? would they even make the thermometer if something like this would happen??im very disappointed.. it stated on the box it was for fresh and saltwater and it also says it on the site. i did take it out though for now

http://www.petco.com/product/110175...-8381-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

Last edited:

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
well it says stainless, buuut, it may only be a stainless outer layer and the inside is cheap.. heres what always stand by, when in doubt, throw it out!!! go buy a digital temp probe thermometer... your better off, and then no worries!! besides for a 3 dollar thermometer your worrying way too much, and the turbo snail cost more than the thermometer itself.. so junk it!

NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well it says stainless, buuut, it may only be a stainless outer layer and the inside is cheap.. heres what always stand by, when in doubt, throw it out!!! go buy a digital temp probe thermometer... your better off, and then no worries!! besides for a 3 dollar thermometer your worrying way too much, and the turbo snail cost more than the thermometer itself.. so junk it!

ya the outside might be rusting away or maybe it's just build up of some sort? maybe calcium or something idk... do u think it has done damage? it sucks cause i just did a water change and i dont know what my temp is.. my heater is self adjusting but it is green so i know it is warm but it might be overheating.. but it's not summer anymore so for now i can wait.. i noticed once i took my hermometer off my leather coral looks closed with alot of bald spots.. it's shrunk.. ill just wait and see until i turn on my lights at 3...i hope everything is fine.. ur probably rite, im probably worrying too much, but i just bought a torch and candy cane and i dont want anything to happen to them

NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It said stainless steel - i would have to believe that you are ok but change it anyway

ya it did say that but im throwing it OUT! and getting a digital...or i can use the thermometer on my hydrometer for now.. and leave the hydrometer in the tank for a day, i dont think it should cause much of a problem for the hydrometer. the stainless steel doesnt look very stainless ...... it's stained for sure and it smells like metal..

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
yup i saw your new frags.. if it is rusting it is definitly not stainless, and you can go buy a copper test kit to check, to you use ro water? bc if you just use water rom your sink you may have chlorine and copper in your system..but once its out, do a few water changes, and see how everything looks.. you should be fine..

NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also just to add.. it was only rusted around the line where the water level was.. basically where the water level ended.. i did do a water change but i still had the thermometer on while i was doing it and the thermometer was put into the new water to see if the temperatures matched.. if it was rusted could that cause copper?

NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup i saw your new frags.. if it is rusting it is definitly not stainless, and you can go buy a copper test kit to check, to you use ro water? bc if you just use water rom your sink you may have chlorine and copper in your system..but once its out, do a few water changes, and see how everything looks.. you should be fine..

well it is only rusting around the area of the water level and the area out of the water.. i did put in a new filter cartridge yesterday that contains carbon and i know carbon takes out copper. i will buy a digital thermometor asap ill use my hydrometer's thermometer for now.. i do use r/o... maybe if i added dechlorinator to the tank it will take out the copper??? i have a little bit left.. will dechlorinator affect corals?

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
well it is only rusting around the area of the water level and the area out of the water.. i did put in a new filter cartridge yesterday that contains carbon and i know carbon takes out copper. i will buy a digital thermometor asap ill use my hydrometer's thermometer for now.. i do use r/o... maybe if i added dechlorinator to the tank it will take out the copper??? i have a little bit left.. will dechlorinator affect corals?

noooo, dont add anything to the tank!!!, if you use ro water theres no chlorine.. and stainless and copper both do not rust.. sometimes polished sheetmetal can look like stainless but will rust or like i said it was just a coating on the stamped metal, and the water penatrated the coating and is starting to rust. either way, way too much thought on a 2 dollar thermometer.. hahah, i wouldnt leave the hydrometer in the water but if you wanna just check it a few times a day to make sure, but if you really havent had any issues with temp as long as you dont have a heater failure your temp should be ok

NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
noooo, dont add anything to the tank!!!, if you use ro water theres no chlorine.. and stainless and copper both do not rust.. sometimes polished sheetmetal can look like stainless but will rust or like i said it was just a coating on the stamped metal, and the water penatrated the coating and is starting to rust. either way, way too much thought on a 2 dollar thermometer.. hahah, i wouldnt leave the hydrometer in the water but if you wanna just check it a few times a day to make sure, but if you really havent had any issues with temp as long as you dont have a heater failure your temp should be ok

lol i havent added anything yet... but i did add dechlorinator/stress coat to the tank 2 weeks ago.. my firefish had a tail ripped and it stated on the bottle that it helps coat fins and protect scales... but i just did a water change so it's probably all out the tank.. or it probably had no effect at all.. cause when i added the dechlorinator/stress coat nothing really happened. the mushrrom got a little shriveled but next day it was huge as usually.. rite now my corals are still closed a little since i just did a water change.. my leather was huge yesterday and it's slowly opening up.. ill take a pic of the whole tank for you =)

ps: the rust on the thermometer might be algea...idk cause it wont come off easily.. but then again algea might stick to steel but can be scratched off on glass.

NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
146_2241.jpg

146_2239.jpg

146_2234.jpg

146_2231.jpg

146_2245.jpg

146_2237.jpg

heres the pics.. my damsels r still in their little corner, but their getting "USED" to the tank i guess. i did just do a water change also.. all corals r still opening up. and theres a pic of the thermometer also.. my snail is on the wall but it is going to the exact area where the thermometer was and there might be some residue on the glass for the rust. im afraid it will touch the rust/copper residue and die.. is that possible?

NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update: i got new thermometer!!!!!!!!!! it's plastic (which is good). it's called fusion smart temp. it uses a magnet on the inside and out. the only thing was that when i opened the thermometer box the plastic had some rust residue on it due to humidity. there are two pieces of magents. one on the inside that is fully covered with thick plastic. and the outside one not covered fully. the humidity caused the outside magent to have a very small rust which got on the plastic thermometer you put inside. BUT i did make usre to get rid of the rust and i washed it with r/o water and rubbped the plastic and it got off rite away.. the putside magnet doesn't matter if it's rusted cause it's not in the tank.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I had that exact thermometer and I had no problems with it. I think it was just the impurities in your water from not having a skimmer and having some bio load in the tank that may have stained it brown possibly? No need to worry about the thermometer anymore though hehe. Best of luck from here on out

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: