tarpons

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am setting up my reef again after a hiatus. I would like fill some gaps in my knowledge base before I plan my stocking list.

I understand that most LPS are aggressive and send out long sweeper tentacles. I have read on-line more than once though that the sweepers of, for example, one frog spawn coral (euphyllia sp) will not harm another frog spawn coral.

Is this generally true for most species of LPS?

If it is true, how closesly do they need to be related -- euphyllia paradivisia vs euphyllia yaeyaaensis vs euphyllia ancora?

If it is true for most species of LPS, are there ones that it is defintely not true for? favites, elegance, echinophyllia, acanthastrea, blastomussa, montastrea, micromussa, euphyllia, etc?

If you can keep all LPS specimens spaced far enough from one another that sweeper tentacles are not an issue, are there certain species that just don't mix well with other LPS and should be in a dedicated species tank?

I appreciate any information you can give before I invest in new specimens. I have been reading many books on keeping captive corals, but sometimes a lot of the practical husbandry issues that do not deal directly with water chemistry, temperature parameters, flow and lighting are just missing.

Also, are echinophyllia aspera plating corals, encrusting corals, or a combination of both, kind of like montiporas? (I know the montis are SPS for whatever the difference in this classification is worth.)

Thanks so much!
Candy

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tarpons":36buzqt8 said:
Is this generally true for most species of LPS?

In general that's true, but all you really have to do is stock so that the sweepers can't get at the other corals, waterflow is a great help in that. Ambushing the tank about an hour after the lights are out using a flashlight is a good way to catch the corals extending sweepers and look for potential conflicts.

If it is true for most species of LPS, are there ones that it is defintely not true for? favites, elegance, echinophyllia, acanthastrea, blastomussa, montastrea, micromussa, euphyllia, etc?

Favites IME will burn anything they can get to-they put out some nasty sweepers! Elegance (shouldn't be kept IMO but that's another thread), echino (most of the time), acans, blastos, montastrea don't put out super long sweepers. Euphyllia depends on the specimen. I do believe that target feeding can reduce the sweeper issue as the corals are not as hungry, but that's my own observation.

If you can keep all LPS specimens spaced far enough from one another that sweeper tentacles are not an issue, are there certain species that just don't mix well with other LPS and should be in a dedicated species tank?

Not that I can think of really, but you do always want to run activated carbon in some form on the tank to cut down on the chemical warfare and keep the water clear.

I appreciate any information you can give before I invest in new specimens. I have been reading many books on keeping captive corals, but sometimes a lot of the practical husbandry issues that do not deal directly with water chemistry, temperature parameters, flow and lighting are just missing.

The internet and the established reef boards are your best source for that type of information :)

Also, are echinophyllia aspera plating corals, encrusting corals, or a combination of both? (I know the montis are SPS for whatever the difference in this classification is worth.)

They (challice) like calmer water flow, and less MH light rather than the turbulance and high light requirements the montis like..again IME/IMO

tarpons

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, does anyone have experience placing two or more bubble corals (plerogyra sinuosa specifically) in close proximity to one another? I understand they have sweeper tentacles reaching 12" or more in length and a potent sting.

Thanks,
Candy

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't. We loose enough money in this hobby without stacking the odds towards failure :lol:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawdawg's probably got more experience than me on this, but I thought coral of the same species wouldn't sting each other. Similar but different species might (e.g. different types of Acan) but not the same species. As I say, I might well be wrong...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The same species of LPS will sting each other to the point of implosion. However, the distances involved are short enough that you have to be an absolute dunce to allow them to get in range of each other ( :oops: ) That is all...... :wink:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the dawg about elegance corals - granted it's been a few years since I have brought one home for from the LFS for HOSPICE care.

I may be crazy but I think our tanks are to clean and bright for them.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I used to clip off the sweepers on Galaxia. Never seemed cause a problem...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: