Lostinthedark

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
When corals turn brown its usually a sign of high phosphates. Have you checked them? Are you running any GFO? If you post your parameters I'm sure some one can help you find the answer.

Lostinthedark

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Unfortunately, keeping corals is a little more complicated then keeping fish only. To do it right you need to test just about everything or else eventually something will go wrong and you will lose everything. Redsea has a great alkalinity,calcium and magnesium test kit for about $50. They also have a phosphate and nitrate kit thats i like. It would be a wise investment. Of course then you will have to adjust your water to meet the corals requirements. They do include a small book that guides you to the proper levels.

mrjenks

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Unfortunately, keeping corals is a little more complicated then keeping fish only. To do it right you need to test just about everything or else eventually something will go wrong and you will lose everything. Redsea has a great alkalinity,calcium and magnesium test kit for about $50. They also have a phosphate and nitrate kit thats i like. It would be a wise investment. Of course then you will have to adjust your water to meet the corals requirements. They do include a small book that guides you to the proper levels.

thanks for the info ill look into it this week i always did just the basics

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Also, give us info on your tank, like filtration, tank size, lighting, ect. And No3 shouldn't be at zero unless you just did a major water change and have nothing in your tank producing waste. Theres usually a reading on that test kit.

Browning out could possibly be a light issue as well as a parameter issue. And yes, pick up the red sea test kits. They are inexpensive and will give you decent readings. You want something a little better for phosphates.

mrjenks

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
im going to the reef shop i get all my stuff from now, they said that they will help me check my water levels now.
ill know were my phosphate is at
and everything else aswell
ill also know if my readings were correct.

when i get back ill give you the tank specs thanks guys

mrjenks

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
well i just got back from the shop were i get all my stuff
and the guys took a look at my water

turns out my water is way off from what i thought.

my ph is low
my kh is low

my salinity is a little low
my calcium is about 500ppm
my phosphate was also a little high

amonia nitrate nitrite were all good, the guys gave me a phosphate pad and told me to add some buffer and i should be ok.
and that when i do my water change just add a little more salt till im at 124

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: