andylee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I am starting to get coralline algae on my Zeroedge tank. I've always welcomed coralline as a sign that a tank was well-balanced and on its way to maturity, but this is my first acrylic tank. Also, because of the way water flows over the edges of the tank, it is growing inside and out. The regular acrylic algae scrapers (sponge on a stick) have no effect.

Suggestions? Thanks.

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Yeah the plastic scraper seems to work for me, though it makes me nervous, as does everything else near acrylic.

I've also found that if I use the inside portion of an acrylic safe magnetic cleaner (i have a Piranha) and remove the white inside pad and just us it by hand (the pad i'm talking about) essentially like a scrubby sponge, that works. You have to remove the pad and do it by hand though because it requires elbow grease and scrubbing with pressure on just one or two fingers at a time that just passing over with the magnetic can't provide.

This is my first and only acrylic tank. Just too easy to scratch accidentally. My 25 year old glass tank has fewer noticeable scratches than this acrylic that's less than 6 months old. BAH Glass wins. Wish I had known that 6 months ago. I'm already looking at Deep Blue 120g. Wish I could slip that past the GF...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: