A

Anonymous

Has anybody used crushed limestone as a substrate? I can get this from one of the local gravel suppliers. The guy I talked to at the yard says that they have, what they call, sifted fines from the sorting process. We don't have HD Southdown sand down here in south Florida and I was wondering if this was a viable option. TIA
Larry

A

Anonymous

Greg Hiller has analyzed crushed limestone for use in calcium reactors. Apparently it is so cheap it's almost free! Remember, though, his source is different so the impurities may be different. Try a search on his name and see what you come up with.

------------------
Randy Holmes-Farley

A

Anonymous

Randy,
You're right it is cheap! This company offered to sell me a ton for $20.00. I will check for that source thanks for the help.
Larry

A

Anonymous

Wouldn't crushed limestone compact into a hard mass? I am familiar with its use in construction whereby it hardens like concrete. ??????

A

Anonymous

If its finely ground it will compact and harden. But I really dont know if the crushed stuf will do this . I would guess that it would be ok due to the fact that Greg uses it in a reactor. I would try the sand size and wash it fairly good B4 using it to get rid of any finely ground particles. JMO...Mike

------------------
Its only money!

A

Anonymous

I was told that it has the consistency of beach sand. Wouldn't you have to mix it with other additives in order to get it to solidify like cement?
Larry

A

Anonymous

I am not sure if anything else is mixed with the limestone but I do agree that the finer the material (almost a dust) compacts more than #4's for example. Didn't mean to alarm anyone but thought you might want to verify before using as a substrate and having to replace. What a job/mess that would be.

Good luck.

A

Anonymous

PDD
Thanks for the input..... you're right. I wouldn't want to have to pull a 700LB lump out of the bottom of my tank. Greg have you seen any clumping in your reactor or tank?

A

Anonymous

Larry,

Yes, I'm using crushed limestone in a calcium reactor. I had the stuff analysed by a lab and the stuff was fine for my use. I don't know that yours will be the same without an analysis. When I went to the quarry I got some material that was a bit larger than #4 (the scale that these guys use). I put this in my reactor, but it could not quite keep up with calcium demand (my tank is full of SPS). I believe the problem was mostly due to the large particle size (smaller surface area) than the crushed coral I had been using. I then added a bit of sand sized limestone that I had also picked up at the quarry (nice stuff, very uniform in size and very white and clean). This addition (with all of its additional surface area) was enough for the calcium reactor to keep up with demand. When I get around to it I may write a small blurb about my results to Aquarium Frontiers, but then I will probably have to fear for my life from the makers of Super Calc Gold and Koralith. FWIW, I paid maybe 5x of what you did for the sand and rock (but MY sand was in a BAG!), all of $0.05/lb.

Bottom line, the sand is probably fine for your tank.

------------------
- Greg Hiller
need frags in the Boston area? E-mail me

A

Anonymous

I agree with you about the new sand/concretion, Greg.

By the way, which Home Depot has the sand?The one in Waltham did not last week. I need some more to set up a quarantine tank for a wrasse.

------------------
Randy Holmes-Farley

A

Anonymous

I'd like to know which HD has it as well.I've got a 55 fresh in the living room that I want to get running for reef.

------------------
It's always something!

A

Anonymous

I have had no problems with clumping in my reactor, but keep in mind, my reactor is at a very low pH (around 6.3) and the limestone is supposed to be DISSOLVING, not precipitating under these conditions. It is possible that the dreaded sand--->concrete phenomenon could occur with this sand (a form of calcite I believe) when used as a substrate, but I'm not sure if it is any more likely than with a fine aragonite substrate. Hopefully Randy will give his opinion. I believe that the substrate--->concrete conversion is most likely to take place in a tank with a new, very clean sand bed (i.e. particles not yet coated with proteinaceous substances), and aggressive use of calcium additives keeping the alkalinity and calcium levels very high.
I have not used this sand directly in a tank, but I don't think there will be a problem. The Home Depot sand is available here in Boston, so I use that for the most part. FWIW, the limestone sand is much easier to rinse out than the typical fine aragonite sands.

------------------
- Greg Hiller
need frags in the Boston area? E-mail me

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: