Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Very excited, nice husband decided to spring for a 14G Biocube.

Kept cichlids for many years, husband had a SW fish tank about 20 years ago that he did pretty well with -- recently decided to try a nice cichlid tank again, wandered into an LFS that was mostly SW. I'm sure you can guess the rest. So I've been reading a ton.

Goal is as natural a setup as possible, not a ton of sand, LR, plus basic corals and a fish and shrimp (+CUC). The limitation will be the lights as this has the standard PCs -- if I could track down a 70W sunpod that might be nice, but for now may stay stock. I think I will add a nano pump for circulation and run a refugium + macroalgae in the 2nd chamber. Sort of a training wheels tank :eek: .

In any case, better half prefers to buy locally (at least the tank, heater, etc), test kits will likely be mail order once I figure out which brand I want.

I'm hoping he can track down a biocube soon, but in the meantime I wanted to get some initial input regarding a good source for live rock and an opinion regarding live sand so that I can get up and going.

So, finally:

(1) Does anyone have a favorite local source for cured live rock? I'm going to shoot for ~14-18 lbs. Don't mind a little drive, I'm in lower westchester. I think that cured is the way to go, but if I am being overly cautious, open to other suggestions. Also not sure if I should add it all at once or go for a more staged addition, say 10 lbs first, then the rest?

(2) I'm still on the fence re: "live" sand-- not clear if the packaged stuff is worthwhile and again, while the tank won't be barebottom, I want maybe an inch to 1 1/2 inches at best, so I'm not sure whether to just get "regular" stand and let the live rock handle the initial seeding. Or buy regular and add a little of the commercial live sand?

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated, this forum has been very helpful. I remember how tough it was to learn when we first did SW 20 years ago..... the hit and miss with LFS was painful.

Thanks,

JT

cowfish

Psycho-ologist
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Retail packaged "live sand" is a waste of time. 10lbs of rock should be plenty depending on how dense it is. I think it's rare that any LFS gets in really nice LR. Your best bet is to check the market forum and see what's available. If you don't mind travelling Pet's Warehouse in Copaigue (Nassau County, LI) has some decent rock in stock. Not brimming with life, but nice shapes and a fair price.

morphiii

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 95.2%
20   1   0
Definitely check out the forum for live rock. As far as sand goes, you can get a bag cheap for like $20. Might speed up the cycling a bit, if you are anxious to get started.

Other wise, you can get regular sand and seed it.

Good luck and welcome to MR.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

Appreciate the friendly welcome-- I like the idea of seeding regular sand with some from an established tank. And I'm the patient sort, no problem with waiting for a cycle to get going.

I'm being tempted with tank offers from various folks here -- really awesome, very glad I stumbled on this place a few days ago - I'm sort of an uber-planner type and was getting a bit overwhelmed.

Only "problem" is that I browsed Russ' site and saw those Solanas. Sigh.

Actually cowfish, I'm going to be on the island tomorrow-- was actually planning on checking out Pets Warehouse.

Nice to be getting going finally.

JT

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

Actually the reason I actually stumbled on Manhattan Reefs was in my search for some useful LFS reviews -- I've been like a kid in a candy store the past few days reading the articles and threads. It's also a huge relief to find a group of honest and responsible vendors. Playing hit-or-miss with places that sell me living things makes me nuts.

Some serious angst around here re our evolving tank decisions. Original idea was a 14G Biocube -- straightforwards setup with a few simple mods, figured I would put it on the desk in the bedroom and "get my feet wet" with reefkeeping. Husband suspects I will want to trade up quickly and suggested I consider the 29G Biocube -- and I did something silly and eyeballed the Solanas. Now that I would not want hidden in the bedroom, so will need a stand in the living room.

So now two issues:

1. We are trying to keep maintenance reasonable to share between us as we both travel for work. Can't help but think that will be easier with a 14G.

2. The reason I lean Biocube is that I have been reading about the basic mods for over a month and I am comfortable that I could do some simple things (a refugium in C2, adding a Nano for flow) without breaking the bank. If I am going to spend the extra $$ for an all-in-one, I really don't want to start changing components one by one if I can avoid it. There is less info out there for the Solana, and the few threads I have found seem to be full of modifications. Seems to me if that the initial outlay is higher (and we would be considering the Current T5 light setup) -- I *really* want to keep the fiddling to a minimum.

Frankly, if it was just me I'd consider a non AIO, but better half doesn't want to fuss with a sump.

Guess I have to track down some more *stock* setup threads!

JT

You won't be disapointed with Saltwater Critters or the Solana. The Solana is a awesome all in one tank and Saltwater Critters is a top notch vendor and stand behind the products they sell. Welcome to MR the best reefing site on the net :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly question the whole idea of "live sand" sitting on a shelf in a store.
With zero oxygen and all the climate changes in transport, I find it hard to believe it's chock full o' anything. I'd rather go to Jones Beach with a bucket. Hey, has anyone done that?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, many decisions made -- with help from the folks here and some hand-holding from Jim & Russ at saltwatercritters . I now have some more questions that I will post in a more specific thread, but we are now going with the Solana 34G + the Current USA T5HO 20". Order placed and RO/DI unit being delivered today (always wanted one of those for my darkroom anyway...).

Our last salt tank many years ago was a 30 gallon. I think that if this was only my decision we would go with a 40G breeder + sump, but hey -- the space where our original 55 gal cichlid tank once stood is still open in the side room. Maybe eventually....:tongue1:

And thanks for the frag offer reefs4life, such nice guys here!

JT

Oh and I did go by Pets Warehouse over the weekend-- they seem to be redesigning the whole store, lots of stuff being dismantled, so I'm looking forward to going back at some point.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: