Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I am running getting ready to setup a new doser on my JBJ 45 RL AIO aquarium which is housing primarily SPS corals and I was curious to how long I should wait between dosing each specific chemical? I had an issue with raising my Magnesium levels in a past aquarium but my Calcium & Alkalinity where well within range. I would like to spread each dose accordingly over a 24 hour period (example: 20 ml over 4 doses every 8 hours). Any suggestions would be great. Thank you in advance.

DEL

reef guy in jc
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I setup my doser to do test runs with water into a cup, then measuring what's in cup. But today I'll be dosing 10ml of alk at 4 cycles in 24hrs. The calcium I'll probably just do 5ml 4 cycles in 24hrs to start. Test daily for a week. See how much it goes up or down, then adjust from there. I've been testing daily to see how much is used up, but since I kept adding more sps and lps, it was hard to figure out. Figured I start low, then raise as needed. I have the eshopps iv200, and it will be on my red sea 34gallon.

DEL

reef guy in jc
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I remember hearing somewhere that you shouldn't dose calcium and alkalinity to close together. Not sure if that is valid and that is the main prompt for my question.
Yea, I'm trying to figure out my dosing schedule. All the years I've owned tanks, I always dosed back to back, as long as alk was dissolved. However, I've been doing a lot of reading, and I'm gonna a setup my doser to start alk at night, and cal in the morning. My doser automatically sets apart a 5 minute gap, so i guess that's so they won't dose together. Let me know what you go with.

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
I remember hearing somewhere that you shouldn't dose calcium and alkalinity to close together. Not sure if that is valid and that is the main prompt for my question.

As soon as the alk gets dosed, that small area of water is super saturated with alk, and can cause calcium to precipitate out. Once diffused, it is fine to dose calcium. That is the reason why it is suggested to dose alk in a high flow area to diffuse it quicker.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: