A

Anonymous

(prompted by another thread)

I'm a little confused as to how the chain of custody works. Here's my take

LFS<--Wholesale<--Importer/Exporter<--Collector

The cyanide takes place at the collection site. Who do the collectors work for? Do they just show up at an importers office with a bucket of fish? It just seems like everyone needs to know what has happened higher up in the chain. The LFS needs to know where the wholesaler got their fish, the wholesaler needs to know where the importer/exporter got their fish, the Importer?Exporter needs to know where and how the collector got their fish. Is this feasible?

Glenn

MaryHM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got the chain right. Feasible? I don't know. The MAC program is trying to address this issue. In cyanide ridden countries like the Philippines and Indonesia, the collectors work for middlemen- who provide the cyanide and sell the fish to the exporter.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In cyanide ridden countries like the Philippines and Indonesia, the collectors work for middlemen- who provide the cyanide and sell the fish to the exporter.

Wouldn't the exporter know who these middle men were? Or do they not care as long as they have something to sell?

MaryHM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you hit the nail on the head...cyanide caught fish are the norm there, so it isn't a big deal to them. There are serious efforts underway to stop it- see imamarinelife.com

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible for an American wholesaler (or a group) to fund their own collectors?

Glenn

MaryHM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the big wholesalers have a collection station or two overseas that they have arranged exclusive deals with or they have set up their own stations. I have arranged an exclusive deal with our new Fiji supplier (see www.reefsource.com for more information). I buy direct from Indonesia, Marshall Islands, and Hawaii and everyone must go through a middle man here in LA for Solomon Islands.

Who controls the collection varys from country to country. There is one exporter out of the Solomon Islands, a few out of Vanuatu, Tonga, and Marshalls, approximately 5-6 out of Fiji (some only do rock or only do fish and rock), several out of Hawaii, and loads out of the Philippines and Indonesia.

Here's the approximate breakdown for my business:
35% Corals from Fiji
45% Corals from Indonesia
15% Corals from Solomon Islands
5% Corals from other countries such as Marshall Islands

45% Fish from Fiji
45% Fish from Solomon Islands
10% Fish from other places such as Hawaii, Marshalls, etc...

As far as someone going in and "funding" a group of collectors, I feel the best thing to do is set the collectors up in business for themselves. It's odd, but very few export facilities are owned and operated by the native peoples. In fact, our Fiji collectors are the ONLY native Fijian owned and operated facility. I feel it is more important to help them start their businesses and teach them how to properly run them. Traditionally the native people have been used as labor- they collect their resource and give it to a forgein exporter who makes the money. If we can make the resource profitable to the people, they are more likely to protect it. My company does not fund the Fiji station or own any part of it. We give them advice, help build systems for them, etc... but it is and always will be THEIR business.

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mary, I thought you owned the collection facility in Fiji, my mistake, actually Chucker might have told me this.
icon_biggrin.gif

When you say "controls" what exactly does that mean? In other words if I was to move to the Solomon Islands with the idea of setting up a collection station would I be likely to find a horse head in my bed?
icon_wink.gif

Steve

MaryHM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPC- First rule in reefs.org is don't listen to anything Chucker says
icon_wink.gif

When I say "controls the collection", I'm referring to the individual export companies.

No one can just move to an exotic island and set up shop. Bummer, huh?
icon_smile.gif
Many countries limit the number of collection permits or require that you have a native as part owner. Lots of legal headaches and hassles.

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glen, I think thats what Mary is doing in Fiji but am not sure what % of her animals she gets with this business. Mary, hasen't the collection business traditionally been controlled by only a few men? How many "big players" would you say there are when it comes to the actual collection process?
Steve

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: