bvega789

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
So....?...?...?...? for my first big tank im having a lot of algae issues i have not ever dealt with before!

So i have no clue why its spreading to my rock top rock but i know i probably introduced it from a snail i got at petco thinking nothing of it other than just regular algae my other CUC members will Eat and now we here

I did some research but before i use chemiclean Anybody got some info on it or other ways of getting rid of this before it takes off???

Attachments

• 0582AE8B-D484-479A-BFDA-746C450FDA6C.jpeg
    0582AE8B-D484-479A-BFDA-746C450FDA6C.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 52
  • 383BFCAC-28A7-49E3-81C0-1ED85A7D52CA.jpeg
    383BFCAC-28A7-49E3-81C0-1ED85A7D52CA.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 50

Jstabile316

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut back on feeding and lower your light intensity I had that a month ago it’s all gone now

Attachments

• 621EA9A2-AC10-4E1F-A353-B729660BF7B8.jpeg
    621EA9A2-AC10-4E1F-A353-B729660BF7B8.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 35

bvega789

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
I'm going to say just use Dr Tim's Refresh and Waste Away combo. Its going to clear up all your cyano, fuzzy white stuff, everything you've been complaining about. Get enough for 2 treatments.
Fuzz i got rid of mostly manually but i heard using these type of chemicals doesnt stop the problem

Nanoreefer415

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Make sure to check your levels when using the waste away and refresh combo, it is basically doing a waste water treatment to your tank, and if you tank the nutrients with a full dose you risk having dinoflagellates take over which is 100X more of a headache than dealing with cyano. If you arent willing to read the numbers before and after dosing twice a day and adding proper amounts of potassium nitrate and sodium phosphate to offset the bacterial consumption then id advise going the natural route and getting orange lip conches and trochus and increase waterflow to help keep detritus from settling on your rocks, which will start to develop saturated layers of calcium phosphate within your CaCo rocks.

bvega789

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Make sure to check your levels when using the waste away and refresh combo, it is basically doing a waste water treatment to your tank, and if you tank the nutrients with a full dose you risk having dinoflagellates take over which is 100X more of a headache than dealing with cyano. If you arent willing to read the numbers before and after dosing twice a day and adding proper amounts of potassium nitrate and sodium phosphate to offset the bacterial consumption then id advise going the natural route and getting orange lip conches and trochus and increase waterflow to help keep detritus from settling on your rocks, which will start to develop saturated layers of calcium phosphate within your CaCo rocks.
Bro i have nothing but flow in the DT!!

about 7 powerheads 3 on each end of the tank for dead zones with the 2 dual returns, and a icecap gyre 3 in the middle with a nano powerhead Next to it!

so much flow my 3 nems tuck away in a corner but are able to be seen Flowing

bvega789

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Bro i have nothing but flow in the DT!!

about 7 powerheads 3 on each end of the tank for dead zones with the 2 dual returns, and a icecap gyre 3 in the middle with a nano powerhead Next to it!

so much flow my 3 nems tuck away in a corner but are able to be seen Flowing
On top of that if you look this tock is at the top of my tank in the center where the nano and gyre are directly flowing. I dont get how cyano can go up there if its because low flow.
Which would be the exact opposite of where it grew

Attachments

• 9A4EA7A5-6413-4C51-A19B-932D4EC1F93B.jpeg
    9A4EA7A5-6413-4C51-A19B-932D4EC1F93B.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 26
  • F80329A1-76D5-4C7E-981F-B65590803B6E.jpeg
    F80329A1-76D5-4C7E-981F-B65590803B6E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25

Nanoreefer415

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The cyano doesnt necessarily “hate” flow it just develops on areas of saturated nutrient, the flow is to help alleviate pockets of dead flow where things would otherwise settle and decompose in.
How long has system been running? Was rock recycled rock from a previous tank? what precautions if any were taken pre tank build to clean or otherwise cycle and “cook” the rock? Just a few starter questions to help understand the situation more

it is completely possible that you just have rocks with layers of calcium phosphate developing in the outer shell of the calcium carbonate, and this is slowly feeding cyanos development on a surface level. Given enough time of clean water and regular maintenance, bacterial turgor and natural leaching will stabilize the rock

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: