Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I have to ask this so you can all respond to prove a point. A friend of mine insists he is right.

(1)Is a reef tank fully cycled when the ammonia and nitrates drop to zero and the nitrates skyrocket?
(2)Once these nitrates skyrocket should you do a 50% water change and begin stocking?
(3)Can bacteria such as Bio-Spira make rock cure faster?

Sorry in advance I know all these questions have been answered many many times, but there's nothing quite like that feeling when you crush someone's beliefs in a public forum.....:DarthVadeMUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

plz answer in the format
(1)
(2)
(3)
just so everything is clear, thanx.

plz take 2 seconds and post I need as many responses as possible.

Last edited:

digitalreefer

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
(1)Is a reef tank fully cycled when the ammonia and nitrates drop to zero and the nitrates skyrocket?

(2)Once these nitrates skyrocket should you do a 50% water change and begin stocking?
(3)Can bacteria such as Bio-Spira make rock cure faster?

Sorry in advance I know all these questions have been answered many many times, but there's nothing quite like that feeling when you crush someone's beliefs in a public forum.....:DarthVadeMUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Technically, yes. The tank is cycled. This doesn't mean you should start stocking right away, but by definition, it is fully cycled.

2. Once you have 0 readings on both nitrites and ammonia, you should do a water change to reduce your nitrates (although I would not say 50%). At this point, you can start stocking slowly.

3. I don't think this is easily measured, but adding live bacteria can aid in cycling. It is usually not worthwhile, but in theory it will speed up the cycle.

Now instead of trying to "crush people's beliefs" for your own feeling of superiority, try first getting YOUR facts right, then educating people instead of making them feel stupid.

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
1. Technically, yes. The tank is cycled. This doesn't mean you should start stocking right away, but by definition, it is fully cycled.

2. Once you have 0 readings on both nitrites and ammonia, you should do a water change to reduce your nitrates (although I would not say 50%). At this point, you can start stocking slowly.

3. I don't think this is easily measured, but adding live bacteria can aid in cycling. It is usually not worthwhile, but in theory it will speed up the cycle.

Now instead of trying to "crush people's beliefs" for your own feeling of superiority, try first getting YOUR facts right, then educating people instead of making them feel stupid.
i agree

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
3 was CURING rock not CYCLING, which is two different things. Get your facts straight. I asked a common knowledge question not for your opinion, so I would appreciate it if you would keep them to yourself. This is a friendly argument between a friend and myself, you can step off the soap box now.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: