Clink51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
SOOOOO, looks like i have a cyno outbreak on the tank. First some Info on the tank. then steps ive taken so far. please throw ideas where possible.
29g tank (Established Spetember,2013)
10g sump (3 chambers)
Tunze 9002 Skimmer
Koralia Nano powerheads (240 and 425)
700gph return
150w heater
30lbs of rock
evergrow d120 LEDS (50%whites[245pm-10pm]/65%actinic [215pm-1030pm])

0 ammonia
0 nitrates
0 nitrites
8.2 ph
78 degrees
1.26 salinity

2 clowns (fed new life spectrum, 3 pellets each, every other day) [introduced December,2013)
6 turbo Mexican snails
3 blue legged hermits
mess load of other snails from reefcleaners
no corals (yet)

Steps taken so far:
- I have removed all rock and cleaned with brush to remove as much as i possibly could
- dosed h202 for 2 weeks with absolutely NO change (on cyno or on GHA)
- blacked out the tank (still grew even in the dark)
- went to fishtown usa and a guy tried to sell me Red Slime remover, but i didn't trust it. he said its an infection, which doesn't sound right.
- water changes every 3 days

at this point i feel its 1 of 2 things. Either my Skimmer is not cutting it (i get moist brown skim but never alot as the skimmer keeps needing to be adjusted) or the Phosphates (which i haven't tested) might be to high. I am def getting a phosphate reactor soon regardless.

sorry for the very long post... any ideas?

Clink51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
What kind of light? How close to the water? What's your light cycle? What are your P04?

You mentioned you do a water change every 3 days. How big?

I mentioned some of this up top but i'll repeat since its a lot
LED Full Spectrum (Evergrow D120)
8 inches off the waterline
Blues on at 215pm - Off at 10:30pm
Whites on at 2:45pm - Off at 10pm
Have not checked phosphates, as everywhere i have read states it will look normal anyway because of the algae
i doubt its anything to do with the lights because i blacked out the tank and the stuff still grew back.

yesjenks

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Sorry, I didn't see the light schedule listed.

IMO, lighting definitely is playing a factor. I'd lower the light schedule by a few hours and continue to do 5 gallon water changes every few days. Do you run GFO? I'd recommend testing for P04.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
cvut the time of the whites back. cynaro is a bacteria. honestly your tank is still pretty new. is the tank getting window light ? you can try blocking all light for 3 days. personally when i get my little patches i use red slime remover. are you using carbon or gfo ? how often are you doing water changes and how much each time ? you using rodi water or sink water ?

Clink51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
cvut the time of the whites back. cynaro is a bacteria. honestly your tank is still pretty new. is the tank getting window light ? you can try blocking all light for 3 days. personally when i get my little patches i use red slime remover. are you using carbon or gfo ? how often are you doing water changes and how much each time ? you using rodi water or sink water ?

How much do u recommend on the whites?
tank does get very little window light

does red slime remover kill it, or just make it go away for a little while?

no carbon. no gfo.
water changes are normally weekly with 5g out/in
im using RO water

Serega

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
- went to fishtown usa and a guy tried to sell me Red Slime remover, but i didn't trust it. he said its an infection, which doesn't sound right.... any ideas?

Cyno is bacteria, so the fastest way to treat it would be medication. Blackouts and Red slime remover is what worked for me, and I haven't seen any for 2 years now. I know it is possible to get reed of it without meds, but it will take a lot of water changes and manual removal and so on. Take a look at this thread, http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/tank-threads/118095-custom-look-cadlights-50long.html this guy beat it without meds. Good luck.
If you choose to use Red Slime make sure to follow directions to the dot.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: